Munich 10 for base malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I bought enough Munich 10 (Wey) for two brews the other day..........The plan is a dark lager hopped with Northern Brewer and Hallertau, (IBUs in the mid 20's). About 10% CR120.

I'm told that this Munich will convert OK...... I'm wondering if I need an extended mash, or if I should add some amylase. I'd hoped to get a darker Munich but it wasn't stocked... filling the balance of the grain bill with American two row or MO.

Anybody have stories about using Munich for a base malt at 90% or so. The smell of the stuff is wonderful. The rich maltyness of the Munich along with the noble hops should give me as really rich nice old world dark beer. Unfortunately the first edition will have to be an ale as I forgot my yeast.

H.W.

I brewed a Dunkle (100% avangard munich I), mashed at 155F for 60mins, and had full conversion. No problems. No extended mash, no added enzymes, no light base malts - 100% munich I.

I've done a 100% Durst Dark Munich (15L) dunkel. No conversion problems. Didn't attenuate quite as much as I was hoping, but I attribute that more to lack of aeration with my lager yeast.

You can mash as usual and it'll be fine. There is enough diastic power for munich to convert. If you want a little assurance, add .25 to .5 pound of 6 row. Give it a little enzyme boost.

I feel a bit more confident........... Any thoughts on what category this beer will fall into. I personally think Hallertau and Northern Brewer should pair very well. I want a lot of hop "presence", but low bitterness. I'm thinking it will come closer to a Dunkel than anything else. The first iteration will be using ale yeast, the second will be a lager........ I intend to exactly duplicate the recipe using ale and lager yeasts. The temps are cool enough I should be able to make a lager work this time of year....... It should be interesting to observe the differences due to yeast alone.....

H.W.

I bought enough Munich 10 (Wey) for two brews the other day..........The plan is a dark lager hopped with Northern Brewer and Hallertau, (IBUs in the mid 20's). About 10% CR120.

Your brew above, if in the 1.050 range, would fall right into the dunkle munich category (4B) but the Crystal 120L would be out-of-style. Change it up to 5% caramunich 1/2/3, or leave it out alltogether. IMHO, munich can stand on it's own with no problem.

There's also bock, doppelbock, marzen, porters, and several others. Plenty of options.

I did a traditional bock SMaSH with all Munich 10L and Hallertauer. The mash was a triple BIAB decoction and took for-freaking-ever, but I got good efficiency.

Your brew above, if in the 1.050 range, would fall right into the dunkle munich category (4B) but the Crystal 120L would be out-of-style. Change it up to 5% caramunich 1/2/3, or leave it out alltogether. IMHO, munich can stand on it's own with no problem.

I agree with this. I recently made a big Dunkel (shooting for 1.056, ended up 1.062 - nearly Bock strength) with 90% Avangard Light Munich, 8% Pils, and 2% debittered black malt. Did a double decoction, and it's super rich and complex, with hints of caramel and toffee. No need for crystal malts in there.

I agree with this. I recently made a big Dunkel (shooting for 1.056, ended up 1.062 - nearly Bock strength) with 90% Avangard Light Munich, 8% Pils, and 2% debittered black malt. Did a double decoction, and it's super rich and complex, with hints of caramel and toffee. No need for crystal malts in there.

The crystal was mainly for color........... I wanted a darker Munich but it wasn't available.

H.W.

Use a few ounces of debittered black malt (like Carafa Special). You'll have minimal flavor impact compared to a pound of dark crystal malt.

^^Totally agree with this. If you're looking for only color then there are much better choices out there than crystal malts. When I'm after strictly color and no flavor then I use Midnight Wheat, and 1-2 ounces usually does it. Black Prinz would be another option, or like Quercus said, Carafa is another good choice. Any debittered black malt ought to suffice really.

The LHBS is 80 miles away, and the only grains I have for darkening are crystal malts, roast barley, and chocolate malt......... Perhaps the best plan is to use only Munich this time and be satisfied with the result, or use a smaller amount of crystal. I don't think the flavor contribution of the crystal would be undesirable in moderation. 10% was a bad call.... too much caramel flavor.

H.W.

1 oz of roasted barely should not be perceptible and provide the darkening you're looking for.... BUT, I would suggest going 100% munich just to find out what it can do on it's own :D. (but, again, 1 oz roast barely would work perfectly well).

1 oz of roasted barely should not be perceptible and provide the darkening you're looking for.... BUT, I would suggest going 100% munich just to find out what it can do on it's own :D. (but, again, 1 oz roast barely would work perfectly well).

I agree.......... about using the single malt. I have enough Munich for 2 single malt brews, and just found a source for enough for two more at $1.40 a pound.... a year old but in a sealed bag. If this stuff tastes anywhere near as good as it smells........... It's going to be a wonderful brew.

H.W.

Brewed my "dunkale" last evening using BIAB and a full hour mash. Strike temp was 160, resulting in 152 mash temp. Did this on the stove top.... allowing the temp to drift down 5 deg or so, and heating and stirring to hit mash temp again several times. To my surprise, I hit 87% efficiency......... I didn't expect that from Munich 20. At 75%, the yield was supposed to hit 1.055 OG....... I hit 1.063. Hops were Northern Brewer at 60 min, Hallertau at 10 min, and Northern Brewer at 1 min with an total IBU of 22.5. It's percolating away merrily as I write.

Next week, will be my Dunkle Lager......... same recipe

H.W.

My local brewery sold me a 50lb bag of Munich 10L for 30$ so I thought I would do 4 smash beers in a row with it and they were all FANTASTIC!. Strictly Munich 10L and the FG range was 1.011-1.018 so attenuation was fine. I did cascade, nugget, pacific jade, and Belma smash beers and that malt is now my go-to standard for all my personal beers. keep the bill simple, as others have said the munich will give you the flavor and simplicity. the pic i added was the hydro sample showing the final color with just munich...

10380431_786836158002374_4628225048337477247_o.jpg

I've made a bunch of dopplebocks with 100% 10L munich (the idea came from Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beers book) and they're turned out great. They self convert in the mash and lend a great taste to the beer, without the need for crystal.

Back