Multiple test batches split from one base mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhambrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings all, I'm looking to get some input regarding doing some smaller size experimental batches. I've been brewing AG for about 8 years, and currently use a three-vessel HERMS system to make 10 gallon batches.

Lately I've wanted to experiment with fine-tuning new recipes using smaller test brews, but given the amount of time it takes to make a batch of beer, any my desire to keep the taps flowing, I struggle with the idea making anything less than a full batch. For this reason, I tend to stick with the tried and true recipes and end up with less variety on tap.

For the first stage of recipe trails, I am most interested in mashing experiments. Setting aside the obvious ways to experiment with different yeast and hops later in the process, I want to develop a way to experiment specifically with different grains. I'm trying to come up with a process that will allow me to try different grain bills without making a series of larger brews. Here is what I'm thinking so far:

Depending on the style of beer I am working on, create a 'base' mash using only one malt (such as Pale 2-row, Pilsner...etc). Using my 15 gallon MLT, mash the base malt alone for 45 minutes (or use step mash as required by style). Plan for collecting 6 gallons of wort after the mash, and divide that wort into 4 separate pots of 1.5 gallons each. Then, in each pot I would steep an additional bag of "specialty" grains for another 15 minutes before proceeding to the boil. After this point, all four batches would be boiled with the same hops, and pitched the same yeast.

The part I can't figure out is how, or if, I should 'mash out' the base mash before splitting into four pots? While it is true that the base malt contributes the lion's share of fermentable sugars to the kettle, the so-called specialty grains do contribute a significant enough amount of sugars that they can't simply be steeped in the four pots at 170 deg F without conversion. Looking at one of my recipes in Beer Tools, when I 'uncheck' all the grains except the base malt, the OG dropped from 1.046 to 1.034 (ten gallon batch).

Has anyone tried something like this? I would like to fly sparge the base mash as per my usual procedure...should I just sparge at ~150 deg temperature and then 'mash out' after the "specialty grains" have been steeped for an additional 15 minutes at the rest temp? Any thoughts on how this could work?

Remember, the big idea is to make one base mash, and explore the effects of the non-base malts and adjunct grains on the beer. Ideally I would make the base mash in my big MLT kettle, and then bring the smaller quantities of wort inside to steep and boil on the stovetop...closer to the wife and kids. End result of each boil would be 1 gal batches fermented in jugs.

Thanks for any feedback or advice!
Cheers

If you don't sparge, your conversion will continue. Not a bad thing if you are aiming for very fermentable, but not optimal if aiming for body. What about mashing the specialties separately using some added amylase and then adding them to the desired base mash (at its desired conversion state)?

Never thought of that angle, not a bad idea. You are suggesting one big base mash, and four mini-mashes which include a small amount of the base malt (for conversion)? That way I can mash out the big base mash, then combine with the smaller speciality mashes. Seems like that would work.

Never thought of that angle, not a bad idea. You are suggesting one big base mash, and four mini-mashes which include a small amount of the base malt (for conversion)? That way I can mash out the big base mash, then combine with the smaller speciality mashes. Seems like that would work.

You don't need to include the small amount of base malt. Your LHBS has little bottles of amylase enzyme that will do the job nicely.

A guy did a detailed write up of what you are describing several years ago.

He would make base wort, then with steeping grains and different yeast make 3-4 totally different beers.

Search a bit

A guy did a detailed write up of what you are describing several years ago.

He would make base wort, then with steeping grains and different yeast make 3-4 totally different beers.

Search a bit

Thanks, I have been searching, but so far have only come up with threads where guys are splitting different boils/hops or fermenters/yeast. I'll keep looking.

Back