Multiple Smash Brews for Hop Sampling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I've decided to do a number of SMASH brews of 1.5 gallons each, to become more familiar with the character of a number of hops. I find it difficult at times to assess what each hop contributes when a number of hops are used together. Smashing should help.

The wort for each 1.5 gallon brew will be identical. I'll use 2 pounds of Munich 20, dough in with 130F tap water, fast heat to 145, then heat to 155 at 1 deg per minute for a 10 minutes in the conversion range. I'll dwell at 155 if needed until the conversion is complete. This will give good body, flavor, and color. I'll add a pound of invert sugar during the boil bringing the OG up to 1.064 estimated.

Each SMASH will contain one hop only with at least half an ounce near the end of the boil. However much is needed for bittering will be used where appropriate IBUs will be in the mid 30's to mid 40's.

The first hop will be Calliente 13.7 AA. Half an ounce at 10 minutes and half an ounce at 3 minutes yields 43 IBUs

With Ahtanum, which has 6 AA, I will also use two half ounce additions, One at 60 and one at 3 for the same IBUs

I plan to continue the process with quite a few SMASH brews in parallel with my regular brewing of 2.5 gallon brews about weekly. Actually I've brewed 18 times so far this year which is about 1.5 brews a week. I'm adding bottles to my "pipeline" and I like to keep it full. I'm also running 3 fermenters due to some lagers and high gravity brews that take longer.

H.W.

Back