Multiple regulators required?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My apologies for posting this again as I am certain I found this answer before and can't seem to find it again.

If I want to have multiple beers on tap, do I need multiple CO2 regulators? If memory serves, I only need multiple CO2 regulators if I want to carbonate beers at different levels. Maybe my real question is how important is it to have that capability for multiple beers?

I haven't started kegging yet--still doing research.

You can get a manifold and just use one regulator to all kegs. If you are stickler about wanting the right carbonation for the style of beer, then you'll need a regulator with multiple dials on it so that one can control each keg.

You can get a manifold and just use one regulator to all kegs. If you are stickler about wanting the right carbonation for the style of beer, then you'll need a regulator with multiple dials on it so that one can control each keg.
Thanks! I guess I need to figure out if I will be brewing that many different types of beer....and if so, do they need different carbonation levels.

The main differences in carbonation levels are driven by style (arbitrary), and more importantly, by personal preference.

I would start with a double body regulator (2 regulators on the same CO2 stem). They run about $80-100. That gives you one body for your keezer/kegerator, and the other for "utility" use (purging headspaces, kegs, force carbonating, etc.), but could also double up as a second service pressure.

The one that feeds your kegs goes to a manifold inside your keezer/kegerator. Choose one with as many channels as you have taps. If you want 1 of the taps at a different carbonation level from time to time, feed a line from your 2nd regulator to that keg.

Depending on your setup, it may be handy to have your 2nd body go to a 2-way manifold on the outside of your kegerator. One channel will be dedicated for utility use, the other line goes inside to feed the different pressure keg if you have one.

Manifolds have little shut off-valves (with check valves) so you can turn each channel on or off, very easily.

Check out RiteBrew.com for serving equipment (and other things), their pricing has always been very good.

I can vow for using (PET lined) Bevlex Ultra 235 beer line with John Guest adapters. You will need MFL liquid QDs to connect to, barbs won't work. I prefer to have everything MFL for easy of maintenance.

Short answer, you need one regulator for each pressure level you want to deliver.

Sooooo; If you are picky about your beer, and you want to serve 3 kegs, condition each at a particular pressure and serve each at a different particular pressure, you would need 6 regulators.

I am NOT a particularly picky person., I have 2 regulators. One is manifolded to 2 outputs to provide serving pressure for my 2 taps. The second regulator is plumbed to an "on deck" keg so I *could* carbonate at a higher pressure. In reality, both regulators are set to the same pressure.

Soooo; If you are picky about your beer, and you want to serve 3 kegs, condition each at a particular pressure and serve each at a different particular pressure, you would need 6 regulators.

How did you come to 6? I had three taps on my last kegerator and I had one primary regulator and one 3-product secondary regulator. The primary had the main output pressure gauge as well as the gauge reading the Co2 left in the tank. You set the primary gauge to a little above the max pressure you will be using then set the secondary's individual knobs to the pressures you want for each keg. So it's two regulators but with 5 gauges - four gauges displaying output pressure and one gauge displaying tank pressure.

Rev.

The OP was asking about how many regulators are required, not how many gages. My answer was one for each pressure that is desired. I was a bit flippant with 6, since obviously each regulator can be adjusted. One regulator can also be manifolded to multiple outlets. Given that *some* brewers serve each beer at a particular pressure and *some* brewers condition each beer at a different pressure, there is a the potential for 6 regulators for 3 kegs. In reality, if I were such a picky brewer, I'd have a max of one regulator per keg.

My setup has 2 kegs serving one keg conditioning. I have 2 regulators. One is set for serving pressure and is manifolded into 2 outlets. The second is plumbed to a separate outlet to the conditioning keg. Having said that, I am far from a picky brewer. I have both regulators set to the same conditioning/serving pressure. It takes me a couple months to kick a keg, so I always have one conditioned and ready to tap. It sounds like you have regulators plumbed in series. I have mine in parallel. A single cluster of tank gage/output regulators and gages that screws directly onto the tank. I understand that individual regulators and gages *can* be added, but it becomes a bit complicated since the threads need to go in the correct direction to allow a nipple to screw tight at both ends simultaneously. I just avoided the drama and purchased a dual outlet regulator from the beginning. (2 regulators, 2 output pressures, 3 dial gages)

This is the one I have. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078KM5FF2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back