multipack yeast starter

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

svthomas72

Reaction score
Asked this inside of someone else's thread a minute ago, but thought I'd throw it out to a wider audience.

I am brewing a RIS this weekend - a recipe I have made numerous times. But, I'm trying something different this time rather than US-05 (I usually use 3 packs). This time I have 2 packs of WL-001 that need to be used soon, so I am going to make a starter. How much starter do I need for two packets? Normally 1 yeast packet per liter is what I do for liquid yeast, but I only have a 2 liter flask. Can I just make a 1.5 liter starter to allow for headspace and then make the starter that way? Any thought? I've never made one with multiple packets before.

Sammy86

Still thirsty
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Asked this inside of someone else's thread a minute ago, but thought I'd throw it out to a wider audience.

I am brewing a RIS this weekend - a recipe I have made numerous times. But, I'm trying something different this time rather than US-05 (I usually use 3 packs). This time I have 2 packs of WL-001 that need to be used soon, so I am going to make a starter. How much starter do I need for two packets? Normally 1 yeast packet per liter is what I do for liquid yeast, but I only have a 2 liter flask. Can I just make a 1.5 liter starter to allow for headspace and then make the starter that way? Any thought? I've never made one with multiple packets before.
Go here: Homebrew Dad's Online Yeast Starter Calculator

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There is a good chance most yeast starter sites will show that you will get more yeast if you make two separate starters. Make Starter 1 with the first pack and when it is done cold crash decant and put this yeast in a sanitized mason jar in the fridge. Make starter 2 with the second pack cold crash decant and you are ready to brew.