Multimeter reads 440v?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I installed a 30 amp, double pole GFCI today. Wired it to a 4 wire dryer outlet and checked out the voltage.

Oddly, my multimeter (radioshack versio) reads 440v across both load wires. 220v across one and the neutral. My regular household outlets read 220v. They are 120v. For some reason everything is doubled.

What's the dealio? Battery? Can anyone recommend a good multimeter?

I set mine to ACV, 500V range. Anyway, despite the odd numbers, it seems to be wired up properly.

I've got 2 DVM's from Sears (Craftsman brand) and I use them constantly. They're a lot cheaper than Fluke but for my purposes they work fine. I think my old analog meter from trash shack years ago crapped out. I've repaired old Simpson analog meters that were not reading correctly and some of the resistors had gotten somewhat smoked & changed values from original spec.

If it is digital, then I think you have a bad meter. Stick it in a known good 120VAC wall socket and see what you have.

I did this. Both read 220v.

The "good news" is that my 220V outlet reads 440V.

Something must be wrong with it. I'm gettin' a new one.

Fluke is an industry standard, but pricey (at least used to be - I haven't priced them in the last several years). I have a WaveTek (Meterman 27 XT) that I am very happy with.

DeafSmith said:
Fluke is an industry standard, but pricey (at least used to be - I haven't priced them in the last several years). I have a WaveTek (Meterman 27 XT) that I am very happy with.

I have had a few Flukes "fluke" out on me. I always go back to my old analog for a solid reading. I just don't trust digital meters.

Keeping good batteries in DMM's is critical. bad readings from meters can be dangerous! It was a good thing that you checked your regular outlets to check the meter. Try new batteries if it's still giving you bogus reading get another meter. If you can afford a Fluke DMM they are good. If you want to go analog, Simpson makes a nice one. Both are pricey but you may have to trust it to keep from getting shocked.

All I have used and will ever use is FLUKE. I've been using the same 87 for almost a decade.

I've had the same Fluke 87 one since '85. After a few years the display went out. I sent it in and they replaced the screen and recalibrated it for free. Nice.

I've got 2 more floaters. But I now use a benchtop Fluke ( model 45 ) the most by far... excellent meter.

I had a Fluke for years & it went bad, but they wanted a flat rate repair charge + shipping which was nearly as much as a new one. I went elsewhere.... Maybe they've changed their policy since then - it was years ago.

I've had a Fluke 26 III for about ten years, home use only. Used a lot of Fluke DMMs at work over the years. Ahh, my first multimeter was an analog Simpson 260. It had a circuit breaker on it that would always pop when used on an aircraft carrier as the radar passed over. (Still had three kids)

Back