Multimeter Panel Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagon_6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished wiring up my 2 element 2 120v circuit panel. How can I use a multimeter to ensure everything is wired correctly? I’ve used the continuity function to check all the switches, terminal blocks, and to make sure the 2 circuits aren’t bonded anywhere. Are there any other functions to use?

Can you be more specific. Maybe add a schematic and/or pictures? Visual inspection is usually the best if it’s large component stuff. Are you asking about a 240 Vac dual pole breaker installation in your panel or two 120 Vac circuits?

Two separate 120 VAC circuits, here’s PJ’s diagram. I added one contactor for main power on both hots controlled by a NC mushroom switch, so no leaked current to ground for an E-stop.

I’ve visually inspected multiple times and checked off the diagrams connections as I review it. I figured a multimeter would offer additional steps to make sure the connections were correct?

IMG_1831.jpg

once you throw power on the thing and assuming the breaker doesn't trip, you can use the voltage function to confirm you are getting 120v where you are supposed to. operate the switches without elements or the pump plugged in, measuring voltage at the receptacles these items would plug into.

If you did a continuity check per the schematic and a visual inspection, I would just double check good ground continuity on all touchable parts like the kettles and chassis. I would give it a test. Just make sure your elements are under water before turning them on. Make sure all high voltage connections are covered to prevent accidental touch or water spray. There is not much else you can do with the multimeter unless you wanted to measure voltage if your meter is rated for AC mains voltage but I don’t see a need for it. Congrats on the new electric rig. I love mine. I am using the same controller but I installed a two pole 50A GFCI circuit breaker to power my HLT and boil kettle.

once you throw power on the thing and assuming the breaker doesn't trip, you can use the voltage function to confirm you are getting 120v where you are supposed to. operate the switches without elements or the pump plugged in, measuring voltage at the receptacles these items would plug into.

Ok cool. I guess i’ll have to set the EZboils to 100% in boil mode so the element outlets energize. Just put the multimeter probes on the neutral and hot to measure the voltage?

If you did a continuity check per the schematic and a visual inspection, I would just double check good ground continuity on all touchable parts like the kettles and chassis. I would give it a test. Just make sure your elements are under water before turning them on. Make sure all high voltage connections are covered to prevent accidental touch or water spray. There is not much else you can do with the multimeter unless you wanted to measure voltage if your meter is rated for AC mains voltage but I don’t see a need for it. Congrats on the new electric rig. I love mine. I am using the same controller but I installed a two pole 50A GFCI circuit breaker to power my HLT and boil kettle.

Great idea on testing continuity through the kettle and stand. I’m about to order my Spike kettle and stainless stand so it will be a few weeks before i get those.

Back