multihead leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffaoe

Reaction score
I grow a number of varieties including cascade, centennial, williamette, teamaker, brewers gold, hallertau, nugget, multihead, neo1, and willow creek. For it's entire growth, I have noticed that my multihead's leaf morphology looks noting like my other two neomexicanus varieties. The leaves look like leaves of my regular American/European hop varieties. Perhaps the company I purchased the live plant from sent me the wrong variety even though it was tagged as multihead, I don't know.

To the other multihead growers out there, do your leaves resemble neomexicanus or American/European leaf morphology?

Per GreatLakesHops, the neo1 (NM), Amalia(NM) and Willow Creek (CO) are wild samples that were collected in the states indicated, while the Multihead was given to them by a guy who wouldnt tell them how he arrived at that variety. So, the Multihead are probably a cross of some kind, maybe with Euro variety, which would explain why they look so different from their fellow neomex varieties. I cant compare mine because my neo1 died, however multihead is doing very wellView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1470670855.971050.jpg

As far as I know, Todd was responsible for all 3 (excluding the Willow Creek) and there are others that were in deveiopment when he sold his program to Eric. On the majority of the neomexicanus varieties, the lobes seem to be cut a little deeper than the Euro varieties. Multihead was what he was calling it and once he sold his work, the name was changed to Medusa. Check out the links in this article: http://appellationbeer.com/blog/neomexicanus-hops-for-sale/ and if you search the blog, I'm pretty sure there's another article about one hop from the Zappa line of his hops being pretty close to being releases.

From my SD Hop Garden thread:

Multihead hops are moderately segmented, but still retain typical European looking features - big round leaves.
hops-multihead-6-29-16.jpg

On the other hand, my Willow Creek hops look remarkably like cannabis to the untrained eye. Much thinner leaf fingers, deep segmentation and the serrated leaves.
hops-willow-creek-6-29-16.jpg

Back