Multi-part question - but basically switching from plastic conical to fermenting in corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
I have a typical 15 gallon plastic conical that I ferment in now. It's impossible to seal the conical completely. I have a SS coil that goes in through the lid and sits inside the conical and a DIY glycol chiller with AC unit and large cooler for chilling and that plastic film stuff heating the conical. Right now, I'm using Fermentrack to control the temps during fermenting. It's been a rock-solid setup and I've been making good beer. All that takes up some space though. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to switch to fermenting in corny kegs.

I have a 25gal kettle, but make 11 gallons per batch because I only have two 5-gallon corny kegs. I have a single-tap Kegerator that fits 2 corny kegs and a 5lb CO2 tank inside.

I've spent some money and time getting my current fermentation set up and working well, but would fermenting into kegs be a time-saver? Work-saver? Space-saver? And not at a beer quality detriment (but likely improved beer quality if there is less oxygen exposure during fermenting)? Would the kegerator be able to be easily converted into a fermentation chamber? I'm using CraftbeerPi3 to control the Kegerator. I could probably convert over to Fermentrack for that also. Use the same controller for fermenting and for cold-crashing or lagering or serving beer.

I suspect I'll need to buy a couple new kegs to convert to fermentation vessels, right? Probably would need some other stuff. I suppose I could sell my current setup to pay for that. What would a working DIY fermentation setup like mine be able to be sold for?

Thoughts?

My plan is getting rid of the conical fermenter with heat and chilling since it takes up so much room, and going to just the two corny kegs to ferment in.
If I do this, will I need to control the temps to the 1/2 degree like I was able to do with my old setup? If so, can I use my kegerator as a temp chamber for heating/cooling as needed (I'm using Fermentrack with the old setup that I can use in the new one, if needed).
Do you think I'll be kicking myself in the long-run for getting rid of the 15gal conical and heat/cooling and temp control?

Back