Multi Layer Label with Paint.net

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hbt-jinks-1-1646.jpg

First collect all the pictures you would like to use in the making of the label.
Second you will need Paint.net.
Install and open the program you should see this:
hbt-jinks-2-1647.jpg

Now you need to decide on the label size: Click File click on New and choose your size.
I will use in this instance 14 inches by 6 inches.
hbt-jinks-3-1648.jpg

I know it is way too large for a standard beer bottle but it gives me a larger label to work with and I can reduce the finished product by half to fit on the bottle.
Here I have clicked the zoom out 1 time so the label can be seen without the History, Layer, and Tools boxes covering it.
hbt-jinks-4-1649.jpg

Now I use explorer to point to the image I want. Right click the mouse and select copy.
hbt-jinks-5-1650.jpg

Inside of Paint.net select Edit and paste.
Now we can see that my selected image is too big so I chose Keep canvas size.
hbt-jinks-6-1651.jpg

hbt-jinks-7-1652.jpg

The background is way larger than I want so I will use the small boxes around the pasted picture to resize the background image and place it into the correct position.
hbt-jinks-8-1653.jpg

Giving me this:
hbt-jinks-9-1654.jpg

Now I will repeat the process for the other side giving me this:
hbt-jinks-10-1655.jpg

Depending on your background selections you might be able to skip this step.
I am a fan of gradient coloring so I will address that now. It will help even out the gears for adding text without making it to hard to read.
I like to do the gradient in 2 different directions so I will click on the Rectangle select in the tools menu and draw a rectangle around the left set of gears. You can see that this shows the selection with a blue tint.
hbt-jinks-11-1656.jpg

In the tools menu is the gradient select just below the hand. Click this and then press F8 to bring up the colors menu.
hbt-jinks-12-1657.jpg

If this is what you see pick more on the upper right hand side.
hbt-jinks-13-1658.jpg

You will notice that along the bottom some of the colors appear to have small boxes inside of them. This is an indication that they are a transparent color. I chose red as my primary and the red transparency as my secondary.
The red was a little bright so I adjusted it by using the Red slider to darken it.
hbt-jinks-14-1659.jpg

Once you have your colors chosen, you may place them on the background.
I achieved this by clicking and holding from the bottom and dragging the color to the top.
hbt-jinks-15-1660.jpg

I repeat the process for the right side except I pull from the top to the bottom giving me this:
hbt-jinks-16-1661.jpg

Now that my background is finished I will save it. I save so that I don't have to go through this process again and I will only have to change the center picture for a new beer label.
I'll add a new layer next. Back to explorer to select the next picture to use and paste into a new layer.
Resize and relocate as needed. Here is what I have:
hbt-jinks-17-1662.jpg

Text is next: I rotate the image so the area I want to put text in is up. Under IMAGE ROTATE 90 degrees clockwise
hbt-jinks-18-1663.jpg

On the tools menu is a "T" this is where you select the text tool.
You will now notice some new options appear in the upper left. This is how you will select which font and what size you like. Also justify left or right or centering of text is an option.
hbt-jinks-19-1664.jpg

In the layers box click the box with the little green + sign to add a new layer.
Choose your font, size and color. and click in the label where you would like text to appear. It took 3 tries to figure the size I needed the arrow box that appears as you type will allow you to reposition your text.
hbt-jinks-20-1665.jpg

Here is my finished left side:
hbt-jinks-21-1666.jpg

Rotate the picture back to normal.I selected another pic to place in the label. Resized and placed in the correct location.
You will notice the white box, can't have that.
hbt-jinks-22-1667.jpg

In the tools menu is what appears to be a magic wand just above the paint bucket, select this tool.
I used the wand to select the white and then I selected the eraser tool and erased the white.
hbt-jinks-23-1668.jpg

Use the magic wand to click outside of the erased area and add a new layer for text.
hbt-jinks-24-1669.jpg

Rinse and repeat, aka new layer, new text.
hbt-jinks-25-1670.jpg

When Finished go to Image and resize to 7x3, save as JPG and flatten image under a different name so your background can be re-used in the future. For your next label open the background and use it to start putting in new text and a new main label picture.
So, why all the trouble to create layers? Lets say I look at my finished label and I have decided I don't like where I put the text est 2014. In a non layered label I will have to delete everything back to where I typed est 2014 and then I'll have to redo the entire label. Now with a layered label I can just find the layer (in the layers box) that contains the text and select to edit or delete as needed preserving all other work done on the label.
On a side note:
Laser printers colors don't run when wet and I use avery sticker paper and cut out the labels when printed.
Print three to a sheet in landscape mode when using this size label.
hbt-jinks-25-1670.jpg

Thanks for the step by step. Since I'm very slow when it comes to computer stuff, I'll find this very helpful.

This is extremely helpful to me. I never could figure out the text reading up the label. Never had the time to research it or watch tutorials. This simple explanation is great.

Sweet JINKS! Thanks for the tutorial. Too bad it's only available for Microsoft. One of these days I'll look around for something for Mac. The standard editor I use works ok, but no where near as cool as what you just did.

Thanks for the compliments.

Mac users might want to look into Pixelmator. It's not free, but at $30, it's 90% of Photoshop for less than 10% of the price!
http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/

I'd love to see everybody have cool labels. The show us you labels is my favorite thread.

I'v used this program for a while now. I even make brewery labels for the boxes I keep my bottled beers in. Labelizer is cool too. But this one allows more freedom of choice. The thing I don't like is that it really needs a light pen & pad to do freehand art work. Using the paint or draw is tough with a mouse.

As a left I concur. I just can draw/sign things online with a mouse.

This is the program I have been using for a few years now. Nice job Jinks.

Nice write up of how to use Paint.Net. I too have been using this program for a few years. I tend to print my labels on standard paper and use a drop of Elmer's glue on the four corners plus a drop along the top and bottom center to stick them on. Removal is easy that way so you can reuse the bottles.

Nice write up! I intent on trying out paint.net. I've been using gimp and it's a pain!

@Thetonymartin Awesome make sure to post your results.

Another great reaon, having a template to just drag and drop. I made a template where everythings measured the way I like it so I can see the part of the picture on the curve of the bottle and there's a few staples like my QR code for untappd and website and how I label the style and what not. Each area is blocked out a certain color so I know where to put the piece and then I just drop them on and delete the background color. It makes label creation so easy!
I use Photoshop but I know how intimidating computer programs like this can be so I'm glad to see you put this article out. I love seeing people get creative with labels and names and whatnot.

I'm trying to do this and made it to the gradient coloring.
Everytime I click the rectangle it just gives me a red outline with no blue shading in it. The next step of adjusting the colors and dragging it over is not working for me either. What do you click on to drag? The color adjusted boxes?
Thanks for spending the time to explain all of this.
And please be gentle on this computer dumbell.
viking

@njviking Click the top left corner and hold while dragging the blue box to cover where you want gradient. Then click in the area you want to gradient and hold button while drawing the gradient in the direction you want it to fade.

Back