Mugwort gruit filtering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sounddoc

Reaction score
I guess this could go in the bottling forum, but I figured I'd get a more specific response here as my ingredients are specificaly Mugwort.

I brewed a gruit using only mugwort a few days ago and it's chugging away nicely in the fermenter. A lot, if not all, of the mugwort made it into fermenter as it was mostly dust which didn't cold crash in the kettle. Has anybody brewed anything with mugwort and experienced this? If so, did you filter it before it went into the bottle or keg? I'm planning on attempting another cold crash in the fermenter once it's completed.

I'm not interested in going out and buying a highfalutin water filtration system and I guess the best news I'm looking for would be that a little bit of mugwort dust in the pint glass isn't going to be too gross. But if it's just along the lines of a screen or a BIAB bag, I could work with that.

Thanks, and if this should be moved to another sub, let me know.

I guess this could go in the bottling forum, but I figured I'd get a more specific response here as my ingredients are specificaly Mugwort.

I brewed a gruit using only mugwort a few days ago and it's chugging away nicely in the fermenter. A lot, if not all, of the mugwort made it into fermenter as it was mostly dust which didn't cold crash in the kettle. Has anybody brewed anything with mugwort and experienced this? If so, did you filter it before it went into the bottle or keg? I'm planning on attempting another cold crash in the fermenter once it's completed.

I'm not interested in going out and buying a highfalutin water filtration system and I guess the best news I'm looking for would be that a little bit of mugwort dust in the pint glass isn't going to be too gross. But if it's just along the lines of a screen or a BIAB bag, I could work with that.

I brewed

i brewed with mugwort once and had no problems if that kind. I think it will settle if you cold crash before packaging

Thanks - there were stem like pieces as well that aren't a problem, but also a lot of pillowy type powder that I'm assuming is from shipping and handling. I'll get it down low afterwards and report back.

Would unsettled mugwort dust effect a gravity reading? Primary had slowed the last 2 days and I'm reading 10 points high but the sample hadn't been crashed yet and is cloudy with trub. I'm getting mixed results searching on this as the trub is suspended and extremely fine (like dirty water) unlike particles that would eventually settle.

Edited to note airlock activity is close to nil.

Just to follow up;

It came out amazing. I bottled it so there's some trub in the mix, but the first settled glass was the clearest thing I've ever brewed. Nice golden glassy gruit. No mugwort dust or particulates. This was an under carbonated 32oz bottle a week ago.

Taste? Unbelievable. I'll post the recipe is anyone's interested. It was made with leftover grains, MO and oats. Half pound honey in the primary (2.5 gal batch)

Next growler was heavily carbonated (I'm a keg guy, it's been a while) so it kicked up a lot of sediment (pictured), but still, it tasted even better. Going to make a 5 gallon of this and party like it's 999. Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

PXL_20201126_211733650.jpg

Hi do you still have the recipe for this one please? How much mugwort did you use?

Back