MTF pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
I need some help,yes yet again:).
Next week visitors will be bringing me 3kg of Maris Otter,which will be my sole malt.
I want to use three kinds of hops which I was kindly given.The hops are Cascade 7.3%,Glacier 5.7%and Cluster8.3%. Just a little over 1oz of each and was wondering how to go about hopping this brew,which will be a SMaMH?
Some advice please gents.
Cheers,Lee.

It was supposed to say WTF,not MTF.

I'd use the cluster solely for bittering, combine the cascade and glacier for aroma or flavor additions. With only 3kg of malt you should aim for a moderately low IBU ~25-35 for the bittering addition.

Agreed you could use a little more malt in the beer, but if that is what you have it is what you have. I would only try to make about 4 gallons of beer. Depending on your efficiency you should have a starting gravity maybe in the 1.042-1.048 range. For the hops it is hard to say. I have never used cluster but understand they can be a bit harsh to some. So if I had those hops I might try this for a Pale Ale.

No 60 minute addition
Use 1/2 oz cluster at 45 min
Use 1/2 oz Cascade and 1/2 oz Glacier at 30 min
Use 1/2 oz Cascade and 1/2 oz Glacier at 15 min

This will put your IBU into 4 gallons about 40-42 on the Rager scale

Since you have a bit over an ounce of Cascade and cluster, use the left over as a dry hop, or cut the 15 minute addition back a bit if you want more for dry hop. I would not use the other 1/2 oz of cluster unless you know you like the flavor.

Hope that is helpful

Wow,that's very helpful zen brew! I do like cluster,though and don't find it harsh.
The half and half for Cascade and Glacier is a fantastic idea mate,thanks very much.
Cheers,Lee.

Wow,that's very helpful zen brew! I do like cluster,though and don't find it harsh.
The half and half for Cascade and Glacier is a fantastic idea mate,thanks very much.
Cheers,Lee.

Sorry for the double!

How about I add the first 1/2 oz of Cluster to the mash?
What do you reckon that would be like?

You'll have to try it to find out. I think it lends some milder bitterness than if you use it in the boil. If your just looking to use all your hops it may be a good way to do that. Just be careful of the bittering of your pale ale will end up an IPA.

It might not be too bad if it is a semi IPA.
I'll have a go and see how it turns out.

This is what I did:
Recipe:
3kg maris otter
o.5 kg wheat malt
50gr soft brown sugar
50gr white sugar

Hops(this got a bit confusing!)
25gr Cluster in the mash
25gr Cluster @60
10gr Cascade @30
10gr Cascade/Glacier @15
10gr Cascade/Glacier @10
10gr Cascade/Glacier @5
5gr Glacier @ 1

I mashed at 67-68c for 70 mins and mashed out at 75c for 20.
Fermented at 23c for 9 days and bottled with 4gr of white sugar per bottle.
OG 1033 FG 1004

Alc came in at 4.3%

You guys have got to try it,the smoothness of the hop profile is just beyond words :D:rockin:

Back