mt hood hops in a lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99blackgt

Reaction score
What should i use them on? I have some, haven't really found any great recipes that call for them. I was thinking of making something a little lighter.

i was thinking some thing like an American lager? Would that work out good?

something such as

7lb 2 row
1lb c10
2.5lb maze
.5lb wheat

1oz hood First wort hop
.5oz hood @30
.5oz hood @15

at 75% i should be at about 1.055 OG?

I'm just hoping that 2oz will be enough. I've been makin a lot of really hoppy stuff lately, so i don't mind having a milder beer for once. Plus i have a big party commin up, so i want something that other people will drink and be happy with. I'm also going to try out decoction for the first time, and my new MLT / brew pot for the first time. Lots of potential to mess this one up on something unfamiliar... so we'll see

Thanks guys

Mt. Hood are in the Hallertau family. They would work in almost any lager recipe. :mug:

Mt. Hood is a lot like a noble hop, so you probably don't want to do FWH'g. Just put that ounce in at 60.

? what's with the 7 8 9 10? i'm lost

I know it's not a bittering hop, but i've read that it works for a very light hopped beer. Maybe i'll get something else to throw in there like an ounce of fuggle or something at first and change the hood to 1oz @ 30 and 1oz @ 15

how would that be? I was thinking originally of making a blond, but added a little to the recipe because i didn't want to make a beer soo light that the other two guys brewing with me wouldn't drink it.

? what's with the 7 8 9 10? i'm lost

There's a 10-character limit on posts. "Why?" is only four characters.

I know it's not a bittering hop, but i've read that it works for a very light hopped beer. Maybe i'll get something else to throw in there like an ounce of fuggle or something at first and change the hood to 1oz @ 30 and 1oz @ 15

how would that be? I was thinking originally of making a blond, but added a little to the recipe because i didn't want to make a beer soo light that the other two guys brewing with me wouldn't drink it.

Don't worry about whether or not they'll drink it. It's your beer. Unless, of course, they're pitching in to pay for ingredients. ;)

There is nothing wrong with using the Mt Hood alone. In a delicate style like this, you really don't want to use a hops variety with high cohumulone, like Galena. Mt Hood, being of noble lineage, is a great choice for a beer like this.

If I knew the AA% of your Mt Hood, I could estimate the bitterness. Given a 'normal' AA% for the variety of 5%, if you use your original hops schedule you'll end up with IBU in the region of 33. That's plenty for this style; the solidly-hopped pilsner/lager hybrids brewed in Brooklyn in the 1950s averaged 29 IBU.

Speaking of which, I strongly urge you to drop the Crystal from the grist. It just doesn't make sense to add it. Without it, your OG should be around 1053 in 5 gallons, which is, IMO, perfect. Moreover, the percentages of malt:maize work out to be right around the 75:25% of the grist, a ratio I know from experience to be really, really yummy. Adding Crystal to this grist will counteract the maize; you add Crystal to build body and some residual sweetness, and you add maize to reduce the perception of body and add a different kind of residual sweetness. I, among most brewers, consider them mutually exclusive.

Have fun with this brew! Have a look at the 1950s Lager in my sig if you like.

Bob

Thanks for the advice. I wanted a light crisp flavor to the drink, but i still wanted to get a little malty aroma, which is why i wanted to add the C10. You think it will over power the crisp sweetness of the corn? I usually brew with c40 or c80 so i figured c10 would add a very light note to it. But i get what your saying, adding body with one, taking away with another, it might all just muck up the flavor.

The wheat i just added to keep head retention.

I'll give it a try, i'm going to brew today. I brew with the two other guys all the time. They haven't pitched in for much at all lately, but we still usually all share drinks when we do make our own stuff. I have a big party commin up for patty's day, so i figure if i have some of this around still (if it makes it that long) that i can hand out home brews at the gathering.

Thanks for your help

Brewed today. Took a while but i was workin out the bugs / method of my new setup. I crushed too thin for this tun, but i didn't know how it would flow or how easily it would stick so i was guessing. Did decoction steps, only to find out my thermometer was WAY way off. So i think that destroyed any hopes of an efficient brew. I had two turkey deep fry thermos (not very acurate anyways since they go up to 500) One read about 125 (127 is my goal) the other read 150. Figured the 150 was too high.

So after 25 min, i took out about a gallon, boiled it, the thermos both read boiling about right (within 5-10*) or atleast i think, because it was 215 boiling, but the grain may have actually been at 225 or so?

anyways, did my steps, took a while to sparage with the new setup. got it done

end results, 6 gallons, 1.047 something like 72% efficiency. used 7.5lb pale, 1.5 corn, .5 wheat, no c10 (per advice above)

seems good so far. Would have liked it to come out a little heavier, but it is what it is

Cool! At least now you've learnt more about your brewery, like:

1. Get an accurate thermometer; and
2. Watch the crush.

That's a success no matter what happens!

I like to advise brewers to brew an old standard as the first brew on a new system, to remove variables. But it sound like you had a good day.

Cheers!

Bob

One of the best beers I ever brewed was a Pils bittered with Vanguard and then hopped with Mt Hoods starting at 30 minutes and then at 20,15,10,5 and flame out

Mt Hoods are a GREAT lager hop

i didn't bitter it at all. Figured if it's really mild, my drunk friends will still drink it anyways at that party. So hopefully it turns out good. It's bublin away in my closet right now. It's the coldest place in the house (about 60*) and i can't put it in my garage fridge, because it's 32* outside. :-(

P1010574.jpg

Back