MST3K coming back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This just in! MST3K is being rebooted and is set to offer at least 6 new episodes, with up to 12 episodes possible!

It's exciting news and I'm sure you will want to tell your friends ASAP.

Consider this your heads up, and I don't want to hear you complain later that you missed it because "Homer didn't me about it!"

Fire those retro rockets and set course for the Satellite of Love!

Mike or Joel?!? c'mon, Gypsy!!!

Um, actually, I think Joel is involved in the production, but I don't know if he is going to be "in" the show.

From what I've read, it sounds like there is a comedian who is going to sit with the robots and do the riffing.

I also hate to say it, but I read they will be having different people voice the robots as well.

Still, I think there may be some of the guys returning to write the jokes, and Felicia Day and Patton Oswald might be good bad guys!

Time to fire up the old Netflix and Usenet and download a few classic episodes I haven't seen yet.

The new guy is Jonah Ray. He's a funny dude, should work well.

Yeah, that's the dude! I never heard him, but I'm not worried. The bad guys are mostly around commercial breaks and I think they can't be much different than the old crew.

It's the Joke writing that I feel is most important. I think it shouldn't be too hard to find a guy who can deliver the lines.

I'm hoping the robots voices are close though. Or different enough to be explained away. One time I intended on making clones of Tom Servo and Crow.

They did a kickstarter campaign to raise the money for it -- which is still active (8 days to go).

It was going to take 2 million to produce three episodes, but then for every 1.1 million above that, they could do three more. They're currently sitting at 3.6 million, so... six episodes. Unless there's a huge push in the next week, I would expect that 6 episodes will be the end result. MAYBE 9.

But I'm looking forward to it!

Is it really 2 mil for 2 episodes? I love that show though.

Back the Kickstarter if you're really excited. I've never signed on to one so fast. If you give $85 you get your name in the credits(!) and a t-shirt and a load of other great rewards.

If you watch Joel's video explaining the numbers it all makes sense, about 15% of the money goes to just paying Kickstarter and paying for the rewards so they have to raise a LOT of cash. After that it's startup costs and the actual production.

Jonah Ray is the new main riffer, Felicia Day the new Mad, and Paton Oswald as the Evil Henchman. It's going to be freaking great!

There is a bunch of overhead, besides the KS fees, that get ate up just getting started. Then there are licensing fees for the movies and whatnot. The cost goes way down once they get everything in order.

Hopefully this is a big enough push (and the quality is still there) to entice a production company to offer them a deal.

I had no idea there were so many seasons! There's a lot of them I haven't seen, plus a ton of rifftrax. I got all of the Star Wars Rifftrax downloaded. People sync the joke audio to the movie video and upload them to the web so others don't have to do that (or buy the Rifftrax, I guess...)

mst3k-13.gif

(Singing) Gamera........Gamera........Gamera is really neat! Gamera is full of meat! We've been eating Gamera!!!!!!!!

Glad to know that my love of MST3K has such a cross over with my love for homebrewing. I've actually donated quite a bit of money to their Kickstarter, and I really hope they make it all the way to 12 episodes.

"This is no time for zymurgy!" - Crow, S9E10 - The Final Sacrafice

They got 9 eps in the can now. Only about a million more to go to get the full 12! (Last I read)

I'm not picky between Mike and Joel. I'm an Equal Opportunity Riff Appreciator!

I think Joel was very smart to not cast himself or Mike as the host and go with someone new. Had he went with himself or Mike that could have divided people quite a bit. I know there seems to be a lot of people saying they don't want a new crew, but that's really the way the show was intended, to rotate casts every now and again, it just wasn't around long enough for that to happen a 3rd time.

4.7 Million in the can, so only... (counts fingers) about $800,000 left to get the full 12 eps season!

And they announced a few awesome cameos recently.

It's going to be a great run! I hope someone picks up the show after this and starts it back up again. There MUST be at an online streaming service wanting to do this!

I think it's actually a little over $5 million now if you include the $300K+ that Joel mentioned they'd sold in add-ons so far yesterday. I think with the telethon this evening they will definitely make it.

Ended up with $6.3M in total funds raised. Enough for 13 episodes.

I watched a bit of two episodes. One was an official stream for the crowdfund campaign, and the other was apparently a fan feed site I stumbled upon when I was looknig for a working link to the official site. They had a few severe technical problems during the telethon. (But, I mean, can you really call it a "Tele" thon if you don't "tele" phone in your pledges?)

Anyway, I can't wait to see what movies they get to riff on, and I'm going to be looking for more classics that I haven't seen.

Actually, with $6.3 million they will be making 14 episodes. There was a last minute challenge during the telethon to get to $6.3 million and they would make 14 episodes.

Actually, with $6.3 million they will be making 14 episodes. There was a last minute challenge during the telethon to get to $6.3 million and they would make 14 episodes.

Yes, you are correct. I typed it wrong.

My main question is what kind of movies can the riff for $14M? Are they going to stick with the old terrible movies, or try to riff on some newer releases?

Personally, I liked the old movies. They are ripe for picking on.

Yeah, Joel covered that in one of his updates to Kickstarter. I can't remember exactly what to say, but essentially it will be all older cheesy movies that we've come to love the show for.

Back