Mr. Malty's pitching rate calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Ok I typed in all my info and it says I need a 1.56 liter starter, does this mean I need to make 1.56 liters of wort to pitch the yeast in? That seem's like an awful lot considering I only have a 1000ml flask. If that's the case my new $20 flask is useless:mad:

A lot of people will say that Jamil's pitching rates are too high and you can get away with a smack pack for just about any beer short of a RIS or barleywine. But then again, no one's won as many awards for brewing as Jamil either. I'd take a look at what your starting gravity is, what kind oxygenation you've got available, and what type of yeast you're using and make the call from there.

My suggestion would be that if you have the time to make a starter, any starter is better than no starter. I'd make a 1L starter using what's available to me.

I started with a small flask. At that time I would let the smaller starter ferment out, pour off the liquid and "feed" it some additional fresh wort that I made up in a small saucepan.

Will a liter starter be enough for a 1.069 beer? Im using pacman yeast if that matters.

Make as big a starter as you can fit in there, and it will be fine. 1.069 is not that big.

I use a half gallon apple juice jug for my starters, on those rare occasions I make one. Unless you are using a stirplate, I see no need to spend money on glassware for starter making.

Beerthoven said:
I use a half gallon apple juice jug for my starters, on those rare occasions I make one. Unless you are using a stirplate, I see no need to spend money on glassware for starter making.

Good idea, what size stopper do you use?

hollowdp said:
A lot of people will say that Jamil's pitching rates are too high and you can get away with a smack pack for just about any beer short of a RIS or barleywine. But then again, no one's won as many awards for brewing as Jamil either. I'd take a look at what your starting gravity is, what kind oxygenation you've got available, and what type of yeast you're using and make the call from there.

My suggestion would be that if you have the time to make a starter, any starter is better than no starter. I'd make a 1L starter using what's available to me.

Jamil's pitching rates may be a touch on the high side, but you should always make a starter no matter what original gravity your beer is.

Starters not only help yeast reproduction and have them increase their numbers, but it also ensures that the yeast is in shape for an active fermentation and in the proper phase for fermentation.

Latest posts

Back