Mr. Beer- Went Wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearsWickedBrew

Reaction score
I've been glued to the internet the past few day's reading everything possible about homebrewing, I'm getting ready to make the trip to the LHBS for a kit.

What got me started in the 1st place was a Mr. Beer kit that my gf bought me for xmas. I definetly half-assed it...I followed the directions for the sanitation & wort, but when it came to bottling...I just kept putting it off....all in all...I'd say the brew sat in the Mr. Beer 2.5 gallon bucket for probably 3 months (way past the recommended time). Most of the bottles have this weird sweet/cidery taste. I didnt put in the effort..so I didnt expect a good finished product...but I was wondering whether or not you think the problem was definetly letting it ferment for too long?

I am a bit nervous that I spend more money on the real thing and the same thing happens, but @ this point I think it will be impossible not to try it out the proper way w/ a decent kit....everytime I drink a beer..I think of how much more satisfying it would be if I brewed it myself.

First off, we have a thread dedicated to MR Beer...Lots of info, tips and tricks and discussions.. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=46360

Well, leaving it for 3 months was probably one of the contributing factors...that is a long time to sit a small batch of beer on a crappy yeast cake....Additionally, if you followed the rest of the directions, including adding sugar or their booster packet is probably more of a factor in the thin and cidery taste....

Like I said, come join us on the mr beer thread. You can probably figure out what went wrong, and maybe before giving up on the brown jug, get at least one satisfying beer out of it...

:mug:

Back