Mr. Beer recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeridianRebel

Reaction score
I'm new to the world of brewing, and purchased a Mr Beer kit a few weeks ago. I'm saving up the money to go ahead and get an all grain kit, but was able to get this one kit extremely cheap.

I was wondering if anyone has come up with any good recipes with Mr Beer? My fav. commercial beers are:
1. Fat Tire (can't get it here in Mississippi)
2. Sam Adams

I just had their "Whispering Wheat Weizenbier", and it actually turned out pretty good.

Just curious if anyone has come up with any good combos using their extracts?

Thanks!

I made a raspberry/honey beer using the wheat extract you can get for the Mr. Beer kit - I just kind of winged it - boiled a can of raspberries and a 1/2 cup of honey along with the booster into the wort. I had no idea what I was going to end up with, but I got a fruity tasting beer - not too sweet and not too dry. So all in all, it worked out quite well. It's been my wife's favorite thus far, so I'll be making more. I highly suggest racking off to a secondary from the mr. beer keg and let sit for another week or so before bottling.

I was told by one of the home brewing stores online that their ingredient kits will work with the Mr. Beer program - most are setup for five gallon batches, the Mr. Beer is designed for half that, so just use half the ingredients - they said the remaining ingredients will in fact keep fine for awhile if sealed properly. So one can expand beyond what is available for the kit. I can see where a second Mr. Beer keg would come in handy - could do a full ingredient kit then rack both kegs off to my secondary which has a six gallon capacity.

I made a dark IPA with Mr Beer Diablo IPA, 1 lb of dark DME, and added Citra hopps. wOW!!

The Mr. Beer extracts are a little pricey compared to making some of the recipes you'll find on the forum or elsewhere with extract, and by using an unhopped light extract with steeping grains and hops of your own choosing, you really gain a lot of control over the final product. Any of the 5 gallon batches you find can be scaled down to 2 or 2.5 gallons and fit into the Mr. Beer LBK. If you like wheat beers, here's a link to the HBT Wheat and Rye recipe forum.

So I just bought two Mr. Beer kits at Sears for $6.24 a piece. Any suggestions on what I should try to do first. (besides the one that came with it)

Check out the extract recipes here on HBT. You can scale the ingredients from 5 gallons down to 2 or 2.5 easily.

So I just bought two Mr. Beer kits at Sears for $6.24 a piece. Any suggestions on what I should try to do first. (besides the one that came with it)

You can do the recipes that came with the Mr. Beer kits, but I would recommend first ignoring the kit directions. First, make sure everything is sanitized. Do a full boil for at least 10 minutes with the extract and all the water needed (forget about using water to cool the wort down, you can do that in a water bath of ice and water in your sink.) Rehydrate your yeast before pitching, don't sprinkle the dry yeast on top.

Next, keep you fermentation temperatures down in the mid to upper 60's and allow it to rise a few degrees during fermentation. Allow it to ferment for 10 to 14 days.

When bottling, make a sugar solution by dissolving the amount of sugar you need in a pint of water and boil for 5 to 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature and add to your LBK stirring in very gently and then allowing it to sit for at least an hour to allow the yeast to resettle, then bottle directly from the LBK.

You can also use one LBK as a bottling bucket for the other to get it off the yeast before mixing in the priming solution.

Once you have those done, or if you feel much more adventurous, look at some of the recipes on HBT and you can scale them to fit the size of the Mr. Beer kits. Chances are high that they will come out much better than the prepackaged Mr. Beer recipes.

You can do the recipes that came with the Mr. Beer kits, but I would recommend first ignoring the kit directions. First, make sure everything is sanitized. Do a full boil for at least 10 minutes with the extract and all the water needed (forget about using water to cool the wort down, you can do that in a water bath of ice and water in your sink.) Rehydrate your yeast before pitching, don't sprinkle the dry yeast on top.

Next, keep you fermentation temperatures down in the mid to upper 60's and allow it to rise a few degrees during fermentation. Allow it to ferment for 10 to 14 days.

When bottling, make a sugar solution by dissolving the amount of sugar you need in a pint of water and boil for 5 to 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature and add to your LBK stirring in very gently and then allowing it to sit for at least an hour to allow the yeast to resettle, then bottle directly from the LBK.

You can also use one LBK as a bottling bucket for the other to get it off the yeast before mixing in the priming solution.

Once you have those done, or if you feel much more adventurous, look at some of the recipes on HBT and you can scale them to fit the size of the Mr. Beer kits. Chances are high that they will come out much better than the prepackaged Mr. Beer recipes.

^ Good advice here. To piggyback a little bit now that I'm home on my computer instead of my mobile:

Sanitation - this is key. When I got my Mr. Beer kit, I think it came with One Step and that was supposed to be for cleaning and sanitizing. It's really only a cleaner. Use something like Star San or Iodophor for sanitizing. If you use bleach, be aware that chlorine can cause off flavors in the beer even in unbelievably small amounts.

Water - Again, chlorine is something I am going to highlight. If you have any chlorine or chloramine in your water (basically any municipal water supply), you'll want to get it out. Campden tablets (Potassium Metabisulfite) work perfectly. The flavor you are trying to avoid is a nasty band-aid type flavor.

Yeast - you can use the yeast that comes with the kits, but frankly you can get better yeast very easily and it doesn't cost much at all. Check out US-05 for an easy to use dry yeast with a fairly neutral flavor profile. +1 on rehydrating, and also take a read through the Dry Yeast FAQ for easy rehydrating instructions and other info related to dry yeast.

Temp control - You want to try and keep the fermentation temperature steady and near the lower end of the ideal range for the yeast you use. For most ale yeasts, that means starting fermentation in the low to mid 60's. At the very least, set the fermenter in a large tub of water that you can add ice to in order to maintain the temperature. Fermentation produces heat, so leaving it setting out a room temp could mean you are fermenting 10* higher than room temperature at the height of fermentation.

For bottling, you might also consider grabbing a cheap food-grade bucket from Lowe's and an autosiphon from a home brew shop ($10 maybe, probably less). Then you don't have to worry about stirring up any of the trub (sediment) when you add the sugar.

Latest posts

Back