Mr. Beer oats mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike37

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I have a Sticky Wicket stout kit that I'm planning on doing next. I also have some quick oats I'd like to add.

Here is what I know:

I know that the oats need to be mashed with enzymes to convert it to a sugar that the yeast can use. I also know that the oats can be steeped and added to the wort for added body/flavor but not much else.

On to my question:

Can I mash the oats in the Sticky Wicket wort for some successful sugar conversion? Basically, I would put together the wort as usual, throw the oats in (bagged), hold the temperature at 160 for 30-60 minutes, drain the oats, and dump the wort in the keg as usual. Would this do anything useful or do the oats need to be mashed with actual grain and not extract?

I'd really appreciate any input.

I'm not sure how effective this would be (not a master masher yet). My guess is that it would not be very efficient. Worse of all the spent oats would soak up your expensive Sticky Wicket wort and you would then loose those fermentables. My suggestion would be to do a mini mash with the oats and some malt from the LHBS and then add the HME ad the end of a 30-60 small boil. Steeping would also work for the flavor/body as you mentioned but it sounds like your going for the extra OG. Maybe steeping the oats and adding a little sugar would be a good compromise.

No, that won't work. You need to mash the oats with some 2-row (or 6-row) barley malt. Plan on 1:1 by weight barley:eek:ats. (the barley malt must be milled/crushed, BTW) Also, 160F is a little to high; mash at 154F for 45-60 mins.

Got it. Thanks for the quick help. I'll steep the oats then!

NO! Steeping oats just puts starch in your beer, giving you a permanent haze. Even in stouts it's noticeable. If you want oats, you need to mash.

I'll second that. If you use oats, steep/mash them at 155F for 45 mins--1hr with an equal amount of crushed 2-row to convert the starches.

Otherwise, add cinnamon and sugar and eat them.:)

I put in toasted instant oatmeal and bulgur wheat (toasted) in my Mr. Beer American Light Beer. I wanted to change up the flavor. I steeped it at 150 for 30 minutes. I also put in a orange peel, the result I got was close to Hangar 24 Orange Beer. Closest one I can describe, it was not a bad beer. I also changed up the first one as by putting in just honey. The only problem was the yeast had hard time eating the honey. After 3 months of rest in the bottles it was a very good beer and 7% ABV! Thanks for reading.

Back