Mr. Beer Blue Moon Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will21

Reaction score
I'd like to discuss how to make a nice belgian ale. I consider Blue Moon to be a top beer. Any chance of making a clone in a Mr. Beer kit?

Will21 said:
in your first post you mentioned Blue Moon. I'd like to discuss how to make a nice belgian ale. I consider Blue Moon to be a top beer. Any chance of making a clone in a Mr. Beer kit?

might I suggest a "search"

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/search.php?searchid=1002729

the link above is the result of searching for "Blue Moon Clone", something you should take into consideration, this forum has been around for quite some time and over the years people have developed many useful facts... some get burried and it requires a bit of digging to find...

just my $0.02, but when you search the forum, you are bound to find the answers very quickly and have a nice variety of answers.

i guess my real question BraeHaus was making it in a Mr. Beer kit. i'm sure most recipes are for a full kit. ya know?

Will21 said:
i guess my real question BraeHaus was making it in a Mr. Beer kit. i'm sure most recipes are for a full kit. ya know?

YooperBrew said:
But if you cut a 5 gallon recipe in half, it should fit in the mr beer keg.

now your cooking!

Will21, like in Yooper's response the majority of the recipes are for 5 gal batches, you can essentially create the same in the 2.5 gal Mr.Beer by chopping everything in half.

I apologize for not being more clear on that.

Most of the recipes here you can duplicate in the Mr.Beer, just remember that the Mr.Beer is half of what is listed.

i'll give it a shot.
Called Austin Homebrew Supply, rep said their recipes are for kits not really for Mr. Beer kits. i can understand that.

chriso said:
Will,

I linked to this kit directly above the post you made in the other thread, before it was moved out.

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/102/nm/Witty_Monk_Witbier1

This is a Mr Beer kit for a blue moon clone. Enjoy.

Made this one before I switched to 5 gal batches. Real close to Blue Moon. I added some cherry to mine and let it ferment for about 10 days. Let it age for about a month at least then give a glass to the SWMBO with a slice of orange and get lucky. ;)

Thank you!
Will have to give this a shot.

by the way, this site is awesome!

Glad you're enjoying this site! Hope that kit treats you well, and happy brewing!

Just a quick math note. After allowing for head space, Mr Beer is only good for a two gallon batch. Same theory, just multiply by .4 instead of .5 for your conversion. Good luck!

how long can i realistically enjoy making beer in my Mr. Beer? right now its fine, how soon till i get the urge to splurge on a KIT

Well, I have a friend who started with Mr. Beer about 4 years ago, and STILL uses it and loves it. I do have her making small batches of wine, now, in 1 gallon glass jugs. She never wanted to do anything more than Mr. Beer.

I got a Beer Machine and used it ONCE. Before it was even ready to drink, I was making a real beer kit with an ale pail and carboy. About a year or two later, I went all-grain.

So, I guess only you can answer that question! Mr. Beer might be just the ticket for you indefinitely- or you might outgrow it right away. But at least you're not out much money while you decide if you like the hobby!

Ok. You got me to check. I may have been slower than some to make the switch, but my first 11 batches were MB. After that I sold my MB stuff on eBay and went to glass carboys. Been brewing for just over a year and this weekends brew day will be batch number 38. Your mileage may vary.

Edit:
Should mention, no regret with MB. It was a great way to learn the basics of brewing and I MADE BEER! :mug:

Will21 said:
how long can i realistically enjoy making beer in my Mr. Beer? right now its fine, how soon till i get the urge to splurge on a KIT

Took me about 2 months before I went to 5 gal batches and partial mash brewing.:D

EDIT:

I should also mention that I still have my MB and use it to brew cider. I too have no regrets about getting it and recommend it to anyone wanting to start out making homebrew with no experience.

I got a Mr.Beer as an early xmas gift, my first batch is done and I'm now debating whether or not to buy another Mr.Beer keg, or get a whole new setup since my Mr.Beer is currently holding some of edwort's apple goodness.

Got my Mr. Beer for Cristmas a few years ago and bought an extra keg for it. I used those two kegs for several months before moving on. It is a good way to get people interested in this hobby.

Back