MP3 input for car stereo DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I am just looking to add an "auxiliary in" to my 2003 honda oddysey stereo.

I think the cd player is a separate unit that has a "line out" that goes into the tuner part of the stereo.

I am pretty sure that an interrupter switch on said line (not sure what type) could switch between cd and MP3 or "auxilliary".

I am a little concerned about the theft deterrant system, and air bag inadvertant deployment.

Any thoughts before I begin cutting?;)

Damn good advice Josh.......$10 bucks cheap?;)

I may go that route, but sometimes I just like to do it the hard way, lol.

I know they make RCA inputs for MP3 players, I'm cruisin' the net trying to find them but not having any luck, try Best Buy or Radioshack, I know they have them and they aren't expensive.

Or buy a new head unit, the new Sony ones you can get at Walmart for like $50 have them. I know you wanna do it on the cheap, but if your afraid of engaging the airbag, is it really worth losing your face over and then having to shell out the dough to have the airbag replaced? Let's be real.

I'm no car wiring expert, but I suspect if you pull the airbag fuse you should be safe.

Edit: of course remember to put it back in after doing your wiring project

This is prob overkill for what you need... But I have a computer in my trunk that is interfaced to my OEM Honda head unit. I use a product from Car2PC to accomplish this.

This device allows me to:
+ Receive button commands from the head unit to the PC via USB
+ Control the text on the head unit
+ Hookup a head phone jack to the head unit from the computer.
(You would only need to use the feature that allow you to add an input line to your stereo.)

http://car2pc.com/products.html

whatdoesthathavetodowithbeer?

Well, how about you bring me some beer while I sort this out?:drunk:

Overkill is OK with me ahave, as long as I have parts on hand. Not the case I am afraid!;)

I think afterall that I will buy a new stereo reciever at wally world.:(

Do I need to worry about the theft deterrant system?

New thread maybe......(but evidently I must incorporate beer, even in the non beer threads....lol)

This is prob overkill for what you need... But I have a computer in my trunk that is interfaced to my OEM Honda head unit. I use a product from Car2PC to accomplish this.

This device allows me to:
+ Receive button commands from the head unit to the PC via USB
+ Control the text on the head unit
+ Hookup a head phone jack to the head unit from the computer.
(You would only need to use the feature that allow you to add an input line to your stereo.)

http://car2pc.com/products.html

Woah! Does it talk to you, you know, like K.I.T.T?? ;D

Not sure which MP3 players you're trying to tie in. But I installed a USA Spec iPod control box in my factory Scion stereo like four years ago and it's great. I can control the iPod (and iPhone) form the head unit. Not a full navigation, but I can skip ahead and back and pause.

http://www.usaspec.com/

This might do. I put one in my Toyota 2005 highlander - the wiring harness matches the back of the CD player, then the box can sit inside the dashboard somewhere. Run a RCA to 3.5mm cable out (or stylishly cut a hole in the dash face plate and epoxy the 3.5mm to create an "aux" input). Works simple. Choose the CD player. One tap is CD, second tap is Aux in (says CD1 on my screen). I use it with both my Sirius SkyBox and my Blackberry (pseudo iPod).

logjam_2104_3776224

This might do. I put one in my Toyota 2005 highlander - the wiring harness matches the back of the CD player, then the box can sit inside the dashboard somewhere. Run a RCA to 3.5mm cable out (or stylishly cut a hole in the dash face plate and epoxy the 3.5mm to create an "aux" input). Works simple. Choose the CD player. One tap is CD, second tap is Aux in (says CD1 on my screen). I use it with both my Sirius SkyBox and my Blackberry (pseudo iPod).

logjam_2104_3776224

Looks great, but the cost is almost a new reciever.......hmmmm it would be less trouble though.

Not sure which MP3 players you're trying to tie in. But I installed a USA Spec iPod control box in my factory Scion stereo like four years ago and it's great. I can control the iPod (and iPhone) form the head unit. Not a full navigation, but I can skip ahead and back and pause.

http://www.usaspec.com/

I actually have 2 non IPOD PC based. 1 is a ZEN 30 G the other is a sandisk 4 G flash drive.

I assume both would work with a line into the reciever.

In dash controls would be nice, but not necessary.

less trouble, and you keep the factory look - a thought at re-sale time.

Man I' post whoring.lol. Every time I reply there is a new good post.

That is something to consider, although I think we will wear this van out. It still looks nice inside and out, but 3 small kids are going to leave a mark.

Soooo. got the new "mechless" $40 special at walmart.

Usb input, headphone (mp3 player) input, sd card slot, no cd no tape, radio reciever.

Soooooooo........unplug the right terminal and pulll the airbag fuse????

Scosche makes an Aux kit that feeds the audio through the antenna jack. It's FM based and has pretty good sound. Basically the same system that most CD Changers use. It sells for about $20 I think. I'm looking to get one for the wife's truck so she can play her new Ipod through it.

The only part you see is a small plastic thing that sticks to the dash. It has a power button and a 1/4" jack. The unit disconnects the antenna so there is little chance of interference. Just have to remember to turn it off when you are not using it so your antenna will work again.

Soooo. got the new "mechless" $40 special at walmart.

Usb input, headphone (mp3 player) input, sd card slot, no cd no tape, radio reciever.

Soooooooo........unplug the right terminal and pulll the airbag fuse????

Just unhook your battery, pull the old stereo out, plug your new one in, hook up battery, reset clock.

Just unhook your battery, pull the old stereo out, plug your new one in, hook up battery, reset clock.

DONE! almost too easy.

Took under 1 hour.

Due to SWMBO, I got the DUAL reciever with cd player at walmart $55.

It doesn't interface with the mp3 player, but it charges it and plays through the headphone line in.

The "mechless" was only $40 and had a usb interface, sd card slot, but no cd player. That's the one I wanted, but oh well.

Problem solved!

whatdoesthathavetodowithbeer?

My God.....he's right!!!!

only 694 posts, and he is already head of the "non beer talk" police as far as I am concerned!

Just click on ">General Chit Chat" above,(they just didn't have room to include "general BEER chitchat" in the space provided) and you will find 500 PAGES or so of non beer threads!!!!!!

GO GET EM BOY!

God speed.

And may god also restore to you your space bar, which was no doubt stolen by these "non beer talkin" bastards.

Back