Moving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGrath Brewery

Reaction score
Hi i was just wondering that if i moved my beer in the secondary fermatation stage (that is in demijohns) to a barrel will it still be okay?
Because a friend of mine said that the beer will go flat and then go off. :confused:

What size demijohn are you talking about? What type of barrel? What's the motivation behind moving it? If you're doing a secondary fermentation in glass demijohns I would just leave it at that.

Your beer can't go 'flat' at this point. It is flat, by nature and design. The act of transferring it coupled with storage in a porous material (again, not sure what you mean by barrel) could well be a recipe for oxidation, which might be what your friend is referring to.

From what I have read of what others have typed here... it seems like if you let too much air get to it then it will affect the taste. As a result be very careful when you siphon.

McGrath Brewery said:
Im talking about 1 gallon demijohns, a king keg and moving it so its easier to bottle :D

What I would do is leave it where it lays until you get ready to bottle. At that time transfer it via siphon into your bottling bucket/vessel, mix in your priming sugar, and bottle. I can't see any advantage to moving it now unless you are bottling right now.

Back