Moving up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eelpout

Reaction score
Gonna scale up a 5 gallon English mild from an extract to a partial mash. Does this sound like it's gonna get what I want? All I did was double everything except the LME and add in some Maris Otter

3.3 lbs. Light LME
7 lbs MO
8 oz 10 L
4 oz black patent
4 oz choc malt
1 oz fuggles @60
1 oz EKG @1

Sound ok?

What's the max amount of grain you can mash? The reason I ask is that if you can mash 8 pounds you can probably just leave out the extract! I don't have Beersmith on this computer (I'm at my winter location) but I think you're already very close to not needed the extract. A mild has an OG of 1.030-1.040ish, if you're making a mild.

You could drop the LME and go with everything else and have a solid English Mild... Depending on how well you mash, you could overshoot the style OG range (not a bad thing)... If you're doing a BIAB, maybe go with 8# of MO and be safe...

Mash at around 152, and you should finish with a little lower SG than Beer Smith indicates (go for medium to medium-light body)... If you want more body, go a little higher on the mash temp... I would mash for at least 60 minutes (I'm having great results with 90 minute mashes)...

As already asked, how much grain can you mash/sparge right now? If you can do ~10# with a decent amount of water, go for more grain. It all depends on what your hardware will allow. Use the Green Bay Rackers site to help figure out how much you can mash in what you have for hardware...

You might want to either dial back on the black malt, or remove it completely... Otherwise, that brew is going to be DARK... I would drop it to 2oz, if not remove it fully. You'll get something more brown than black that way... Keep the other malts as you have them, and I think you'll get something really tasty...

You could also move .5oz of the EKG to 20 minutes (for flavor) and the balance .5oz at flame-out (for aroma)... If you can provide the AA% of the hops, I can get a better calc of the IBU's for you... With the modification I just mentioned, you'll hit about 21.5 IBU... The original recipe (with 7# MO) has 16.5 IBU... Assuming 4% AA for Fuggles and 5% AA for the EKG...

the 5 gallon wasnt blackish dark with 2 oz,, but yea i was wondering how that part was going to scale up maybe I'll leave it at two and thow in some special b for that wierd taste i'm trying to find.

What "weird taste" are you trying to find??

The specialty grains in my first porter (haven't made one again yet, but will soon enough) was:
6oz Caramel Malt 40L
5oz Black Malt
5oz Cara-Pils

I would rather have had the Chocolate Malt in it, and will next time I make it, instead of the black malt... You could dump the black, and go with Caramel 60L (or 40L, look at the flavor descriptions)...

If you're looking for a more coffee flavor, or more nutty, look at adding some Roasted Barley to the recipe... You'll want to figure out percentages though, since depending how much you add, will determine what flavors you get in the final brew... This is where having software makes things much easier.

nope,, more like rasin bread or fruitcake or something. dont want it pronounced,, just in there somewhere sliding around.

Back