Moving to Tyler TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjones

Reaction score
I am moving to Tyler TX end of this week, wondering if any other home brewers in the area would like to meet up for a beer sometime, or brew-day?

Also if anybody has info on local homebrew shops, breweries, places that fill co2 tanks.

Thanks

thats good, must mean they have good schools, cost of living looks good, and looks like a safe place to raise a family and enjoy a slower pace of life.

if those things are what you want, you should be happy there. welcome to texas; we have plenty of room here for more brewers

thanks for the welcome - we lived in Idaho most our lives, used to the laid back country lifestyle. - we moved to California for awhile and it is not for us.

Tyler is better than most east Texas towns, if you like the laid back country lifestyle you will be happy, and not too far from Dallas for day trips if you need to do some shopping. In the late 90s there were several good homebrew shops in Dallas as well, I know at least one of them is still around.

Oh and welcome to Texas, it really is a pretty good place to live, and honestly different strokes for different folks for the haters.

Tyler is better than most east Texas towns, if you like the laid back country lifestyle you will be happy, and not too far from Dallas for day trips if you need to do some shopping. In the late 90s there were several good homebrew shops in Dallas as well, I know at least one of them is still around.

Oh and welcome to Texas, it really is a pretty good place to live, and honestly different strokes for different folks for the haters.

thanks for the welcome, I agree. In Idaho we were land locked, it will be nice to have the opportunity for weekend trips to the coast. And nice to have a day out (or night) in Dallas for occasional get aways.

I'm from Tyler. It's a nice sized town. There's some great craft beer coming to Tyler. Try Peticolas' Velvet Hammer at Stanley's Pit BBQ.

I'm from Tyler. It's a nice sized town. There's some great craft beer coming to Tyler. Try Peticolas' Velvet Hammer at Stanley's Pit BBQ.

Hey, that's a Dallas brewery! East Texans tryin' to steal our beer... You see what I mean, cjones? Gotta watch em.

But you should definitely get some Peticolas.

I was born and raised just east of there. Great place to grow up. a LHBS is not that important to brewing. I live in Huntsville AL and don't have really great LHBS. The internet is your friend.

I have been to stanleys - and must say really great bbq!

thanks for the info on peticolas

I live not to far from Tyler. I've met a few homebrewers from there but I don't know if there is a homebrew supply store. There used to be but I think it closed. There is a brewery "True Vine" and I've had a couple of their beers. Not bad. Dallas is close and there are several breweries worth visiting. I know there are homebrew clubs in Longview and Nacogdoches (both about an hour away). All in all a pretty nice town. Traffic sucks for a town that size though.

Tyler's a cool town, I think. I love East Texas in general. Grew up about 75 miles south of there in Nacogdoches, so we had many occasions to visit Tyler.

Tyler's grown quite a bit. It's no longer a "small town", but it's not a metro either. Kind of a nice balance between country and city life.

Also @cjones, welcome :mug: Good luck out there in East Texas, they're a different breed.

Yer damned right we are! :D

Tyler isn't really that bad of a town. I live sort of close by (Longview, TX) and we have a homebrewers guild here in town if you wanted to make the trek over to see us.

Tyler does have a brewery as well. True Vine Brewing Company, I am in conversation with the owners because I am opening a brewery up in Longview. It is a long road and I still have 2 to 3 month before we will be opening. TTB is a bit of a mess to work with. You are welcome to message me and I can get you in contact with our Guild president and I would be up for a brew day, but it is a 30 minute drive for you.

Tyler isn't really that bad of a town. I live sort of close by (Longview, TX) and we have a homebrewers guild here in town if you wanted to make the trek over to see us.

Tyler does have a brewery as well. True Vine Brewing Company, I am in conversation with the owners because I am opening a brewery up in Longview. It is a long road and I still have 2 to 3 month before we will be opening. TTB is a bit of a mess to work with. You are welcome to message me and I can get you in contact with our Guild president and I would be up for a brew day, but it is a 30 minute drive for you.

thanks bud, Just finished moving in, and work has got me working a ton of hours right now..... just got my kegerator re assembled. good luck on the brewery, what the name?

Keep us updated!

thanks bud, Just finished moving in, and work has got me working a ton of hours right now..... just got my kegerator re assembled. good luck on the brewery, what the name?

Welcome to Texas!

We are about to embark on our annual trek. We are "winter Texans" so will be quite a bit south of you on the coast, but we do drive through Tyler on our way, so I'll think of you as we go through!

Keep us updated!

Welcome to Texas!

We are about to embark on our annual trek. We are "winter Texans" so will be quite a bit south of you on the coast, but we do drive through Tyler on our way, so I'll think of you as we go through!

Where to you winter Yooper? I have family in the UP but, sadly they do not get down here that much anymore..

Where to you winter Yooper? I have family in the UP but, sadly they do not get down here that much anymore..

We go to just north of Rockport, on the coast, not far from Corpus Christi.

This winter will be our 6th time in the same neighborhood- we really like it!

We go to just north of Rockport, on the coast, not far from Corpus Christi.

This winter will be our 6th time in the same neighborhood- we really like it!

That's cool! I grew up not far from there. We have been camping at Goose Island State Park. Lots of good fishing all over that area if you are into that sort of thing.

That's cool! I grew up not far from there. We have been camping at Goose Island State Park. Lots of good fishing all over that area if you are into that sort of thing.

Yep, that's why we are there. Bob fishes two or three times per day, usually from a kayak but not always. He loves it.

Oil Horse Brewing Company, LLC. We just finished up with the TABC and have our license through them, we are just waiting on TTB at this point.

Keep us updated!

Will definitely do. I am also playing around with writing an article on startups for the forums. Starting this has been a bit of a learning curve while I planned for most of the expenses, there were some that popped up unexpectedly.

Cjones, Longview has a good group but there are Brewers in Tyler also. Give me a PM sometime.

well, howdy yall! I am getting settled in to east Texas life. wondering if anybody would be up for some beers and conversation. looking to meet new friends in this area. Tyler TX

pm sent - thanks for the info

ADVICE FOR ANYONE MOVING TO TEXAS
1. Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later how to use it.
2. Just because you can drive on snow and ice does not mean we can. Just stay home the two days of the year it snows.
3. If you do run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in the cab of a four wheel drive with a 12-pack of beer and a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to help them. Just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.
4. Don't be surprised to find movie rentals & bait in the same store.
5. Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive.
6. Get used to hearing "You ain't from around here, are you?"
7. If you are yelling at the person driving 15 mph in a 55 mph zone, directly in the middle of the road, remember, many folks learned to drive on a model of vehicle known as John Deere, and this is the proper speed and lane position for that vehicle.
8. If you hear a redneck say, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" Stay out of his way, these are likely his last words ever.
9. Get used to the phrase "It's not the heat, it's the humidity". And the collateral phrase "You call this hot? Wait'll August."
10. There are no delis. Don't ask.
11. In conversation, never put your hand on a man's shoulder when making a point, especially in a bar.
12. Chili does NOT have beans in it.
13. Brisket is not 'cooked' in an oven.
14. Don't tell us how you did it up there. Nobody cares.
15. If you think it's too hot, don't worry. It'll cool down-in December.
16. We do TOO have 4 Seasons: December, January, February, and Summer.
17. A Mercedes-Benz is not a status symbol, a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford is.
18. If someone tells you "Don't worry, those peppers aren't hot" you can be certain they are.
19. If you fail to heed my warning in #18 above, be sure to have a bowl of guacamole handy. Water won't do it.
20. Rocky Mountain oysters are NOT oysters. Don't ask.
21. If someone says they're "fixin" to do something, that doesn't mean anything's broken.
22. Don't even think of ordering a strawberry daiquiri. What you really mean to say is 'Margarita.'
23. If you don't understand our passion for college and high school football just keep your mouth shut.
24. The value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but the availability of shade.
25. If you see a slower moving vehicle on a two lane road pull onto the shoulder that is called "courtesy".
26. BBQ is a food group. It does NOT mean grilling burgers and hot dogs outdoors.
27. No matter what you've seen on TV, line dancing is not a popular weekend pastime.
28. "Tea" = Sweet Iced Tea. There is no other kind.
29. Everything is better with Ranch dressing.

30. Remember the Alamo.
31. It was the War of Northern Aggression, not the Civil War.
32. If you are in El Paso, you are closer to Los Angeles than you are to Houston. Hell, Chicago is closer to Houston than El Paso is.

You made me curious so I pulled it up on Google maps. LA to El Paso = 802 mile drive, El Paso to Houstion is 745 to 812 mile drive depending on which route you take.

That's interesting. A lot of us Texans have bragged that half of the trip from Houston to LA is in Texas, but I had honestly not looked at it on Google maps. I suppose if you throw in the few miles between El Paso and the TX/NM border it's still pretty close. Either way, I'll try to fly first!

Back