Moving to stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
I finally got to try a Left Hand Milk Stout today and the wife and I very much like it:D I'm not a stout brewer so I'd like some help in re-creating this smooth, creamy, chocolaty stout. I like what I taste I just don't know which grains are contributing it before the lb. or so of lactose is added. I'm brewing with extracts but have mashed three lbs. of grain pretty successfully. From the Left Hand website it looks like there's quite a bit of specialty grains in this one.

Help a brotha' out with this or a similar recipe that you've made. TIA

Can't help with a specific recipe, but I did a kit oatmeal stout as my first.

The smoothness I detected came with time: more than 2months in the bottle.

The oatmeal is supposed to add mouth feel, but I am too noob to notice. If you brewed one now, based on a recipe or two in the database, it will probably be really good sometime around fall.

I wasn't able to make mine last that long :p

For stouts, S-04 totally makes them smoother and more mouthfeel. I did my first with Notty though and it is still tasting awesome. It just takes some time, about two months (in the keg). It tasted thin at first but it turned out to be a great stout that is really nice.

Back