Moving to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

prenger745

Reaction score
So, 3 weeks and 3 days ago, I brewed an Imperial Stout. I had PLANNED to rack to my secondary after 3 weeks, and bottle after 4 weeks, but life got in the way. So it has been in my primary for 24 days.

This weekend presents a convenient time for me to bottle. Mostly likely on Sunday.

So knowing that some people don't move at all to a secondary. Would moving it to a secondary tonight (knowing that I am going to bottle in 4 days) help at all? Or just un-necessary work?

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It's an unnecessary risk for no gain. Your beer will be a month in primary in 4 days... Your beer will be really clear and great tasting. That's WHY many o us leave our beers in primary for a month minimum...there's not point in risking oxydation and infection for no payoff if you're going to be bottling in 4 days. Take advantage of what a month can do, and in 4 days carefully rack to your bottling bucket leaving the tight yeast cake behind.

GuldTuborg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. If you're ready to bottle, do it. I like to transfer to secondary when bulk conditioning a big beer, but there are other reasons for doing that. Add some fresh yeast, if you have it, and bottle away.

Latest posts