Moving to Seattle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootstrapBill

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am going to be moving up to Seattle from Chico within the next couple months and am going looking for places in two weeks. I am going to be somewhat close to the downtown area and wanted to get an idea on what the beer scene is like up there. I am interested in finding the best brew shops, along with clubs, good bars around, etc. Oh and if anyone has a good idea on where to start looking for places, that would be great too. I will be going to Seattle U Law within the next year. Thank you for the help. It is much appreciated.

I live in South King county. As far as clubs and bars I'm a bit too old for that scene but Pioneer square is always fun to get into a little trouble.

The beer scene is great. Tons of breweries.

As far as where to live in the simplest terms its broken up by lake washington.

The further south you go the cheaper it gets to live. But also gets a bit more ghetto.

Smack dab in the middle in the west side of the lake is seattle and east side is bellevue. Both pretty expensive to live

North of the lake is still more expensive than the south and a little nicer.

the cellar homebrew.

North Seattle (Fremont, greenlake, phinney ridge, greenwood) or if you can afford it belltown/capitol hill.

Check out Naked City Brewery on 87th ave north and Greenwood avenue. Right across the street is Pillager Pub.

Tons of brew pubs in the area. Great town from a beer/wine/food aspect.

Ballard would be another great place to live but a bit of a drive from seattle U.

Maybe Leschi area ...

Seattle's really spread out. Living close to/in the city sucks (OR really expensive) if you plan on having a car and driving, and the good brew shops are in the suburbs. Living in the suburbs sucks if you like to get tanked at the bar and are too cheap for a taxi.

I live in the south end, and I can say with confidence the north end (namely phinney ridge, ballard, fremont) is completely saturated with great beer bars and has a good homebrew store... though you can find a couple good places anywhere. I'd start there if you plan on driving :).

Definitely check out brouwers in fremont for a good pint. Tons of beer on tap. Bottleworks in greenlake has a great selection to take home with a few on tap too.

Depends on your budget and transportation you use. My daugther lives in lake city and found a nice sized apartment for $650. She goes to the UW and is 20 minutes by bus away/10 by car.

Parking downtown can be limited so if you aren't adverse to the bus, I would look at what's around the bus lines.

As far as nightlife, there appears to be plenty. Try and take in a Sounders game while your up, or at least the walk up drink up that occurs prior to matches.

Good Luck.

Haven't made it to Larry's Homebrew, but the cellar had a great staff, apart from the owner. Homebrew heaven way up north had better prices, and decent help.
With a few exceptions, the rental prices and levels of ghetto here come in clusters, if that makes sense. Lake city and lake forest park, for example, border one another. Both touch lake Washington, and have even access to the freeway. Lake forest park has Mercedes, lake city has crack heads.

As far as the beer scene, I recommend malt and vine in Redmond and uber in greenlake. Both have a proper bar, plus bottles, growlers and kegs to go.

If you're going to be working somewhere it'll work, there's also the light rail and sounder train to look at. If you can take that, it really opens up where you can live and still have a fairly painless commute. Beer scene is good everywhere. I live/work north of seattle and I drive by at least 4 or 5 breweries going to and from work. We have breweries almost like we have Starbucks. :D

ChshreCat said:
If you're going to be working somewhere it'll work, there's also the light rail and sounder train to look at. If you can take that, it really opens up where you can live and still have a fairly painless commute. Beer scene is good everywhere. I live/work north of seattle and I drive by at least 4 or 5 breweries going to and from work. We have breweries almost like we have Starbucks. :D

Ever been to fremont brewing?

Ever been to fremont brewing?

Nope. There's a ton of places I need to get to but never have the chance. I don't actually get down into Seattle proper very often anymore. When I do, I take the Sounder. It's the BEST way to do it if where you need to go is all downtown.

ChshreCat said:
Nope. There's a ton of places I need to get to but never have the chance. I don't actually get down into Seattle proper very often anymore. When I do, I take the Sounder. It's the BEST way to do it if where you need to go is all downtown.

Take your kids, dog, and dinner there. It's a good feel

If you ever get up to Lynnwood area check out Big E Ales - some great beer going on up there. Also the brewers are usually on hand to chat it up with.

Thank you all for the help. It is greatly appreciated. I will be up there to look around in two weeks. Pretty excited.

and a must stop store is 99 bottles, just a bit south on I5 in federal way. biggest beer selection i have ever seen. they have so many kinds of beer you just stand there for a bit wondering where to start.

Come June, there's be a lot more bottle shops. BevMo is already getting permits to build a handful of stores up here once the new laws take effect.

If you're up in Everett, visit Scuttlebutts. Great happy hour. $2 pints of pretty good micro brew. You can get a decent happy on for under $20 for a couple people. Then if you get further north Skookum brewery is a great place to be on a sunny afternoon. A guy turned his minifarm into a brewery and ya park in the pasture and along with about 200 other people sit out in the sunshine and enjoy some real good pints.

Another good place for bottles is Whole Foods - pretty decent prices and good selection.

Pretty much any big grocery store in the state of washington has a decent selection

Pretty much any big grocery store in the state of washington has a decent selection

Agreed. I get my Pliny at QFC. And at haggen they have big 6-pack carriers that hold a half dozen bombers and if you get six, you get 10% off. They have 30 or 40 to choose from if you include BMC stuff like Blue Moon. Mostly good craft brew in the bombers though.

Latest posts

Back