Moving to New Zealand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcodville

Reaction score
I am moving from Canada to New Zealand this summer. I know they have a lot of interesting hop varieties grown there that aren't grown anywhere else in the world. Anyone have any good recipe ideas that are New Zealand hop based?

Being lazy and not posting full recipes, I can say NZ hops have ended up being in three of my staple recipes.

Annual Russian imperial stout: Pacific Gem with UK Bramling Cross - both have a blackberry descriptor, despite the intent to age, I do use a large whirlpool/steep charge which hangs in there.

Saison: Pacific Jade and Pacifica - lemon, pepper, and orange elements from these together which work well. Have included Nelson Sauvin in the past, but prefer just these two in combination.

Pale Ale/IPA: Nelson Sauvin and Kohatu together with some bittering addition and then heavy, heavy whirlpool and dry hop doses creates a wonderful blend (drinking what surely must be one of the last glasses from the bottom of a keg now).

I've used Wakatu in a wit which wasn't bad. It did have a touch of lime character. Odd hop.

I just did an English style pale ale with Rakau and UK Archer to combine their stone fruit/peach notes. It tasted as descriptions predicted, but was a bit boring. I may use my remaining stock in a Kolsch-like beer or a simple blond ale or American wheat.

I visited NZ in 2013. At that time, I found Tuatara and 8 Wired to be solid, reliable commercial breweries across their ranges. Wonderful trip. Hope I return again someday. Enjoy the relo.

You'll be able to get some Riwaka. I've always wanted to try it but they put a prohibition on export a while back because yields were low.

I did my Maori IPA with all NZ hops. Those warriors are some crazy mofo's fer sher! Pacific gem for bittering, Flavor & aroma (dry) hops were; motueka, pacifica & wakatu. Keep in mind when I brewed this beer, not as many NZ hops were available here compared to now. My BS2 recipe is dated 4/21/13, & is a pb/pm biab ale with US-05 rehydrated. A yeast with those nondescript fruity esters would be better for this one. Was thinking of posting the recipe?...

Back