Moving to Dallas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm moving to Dallas TX in the next couple of months from Cleveland OH. Currently I have a basement and can ferment with no problem. It looks like horses in Dallas don't have basements. How do you guys in the Dallas area get homebrewing done? Any suggestions for me?

Thanks.

I live in the DFW area. You will definitely need a temp. Controlled ferm chamber and an IC along with a tub for ice water to cool. Ground water temps in Summer is in the mid 80's.

What are the winters like? If I am able to build a ferm chamber can I keep it in the garage?

I know I can Google this, but for convenience, do you have any good ferm chamber plans?

Fermentation chamber if you have the space. Swamp cooler if you don't.

I don't know of any area of Texas where basements are common. Here in Dallas, the soil has a lot of clay in it, so you'd need a lot of concrete and a lot of rebar to do one. Along with a sump pump and a backup generator. Although funny enough, I've found two houses in my neighborhood that have basements, unfortunately mine isn't one of them.

Anyway, welcome to Dallas :mug:

Hey guys,

It looks like horses in Dallas don't have basements.
Thanks.

You are correct. Our horses here don't have basements. We leave basements to the mules. :D If you build a chest freezer ferm chamber like a lot of us have in the area, you'll still need something to keep it up to ferm temp in the winter, as it does get into the 30's, and sometimes the 20's, at night. A coffee-can light bulb heater is very common here, as it's easy and enough heat for a ferm chamber in the garage.

I have my kegerator located outside under a porch. The Winter temps sometimes get in the low 20's (rarely lower) and I don't do anything to warm it. The kegs provide enough of a thermal battery to keep the temps inside above freezing.

My fermentation chamber is in an unheated garage so I use a reptile heater bulb to keep the temp up during those rare days it needs it.

In the DFW area the problem is the heat, not the cold.

Search for Son of Fermentation Chiller if you need plans for one without a freezer. If you get a mini-freezer or mini-fridge, though, you can add a second chamber onto it and ferment ales and lagers at the same time!

Looks like I'll be in an apartment for about a year before I get a house. How do you suggest temp control?

I use an inkbird temperature controller that I plug a 5cft mini fridge into, and it works great, and doesn't take up much space.

I've been homebrewing in an apartment for a few years in Dallas and I use a kegerator with a temperature controller. I recently bought a cooled food cart to increase capacity.

Back