Moving to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill05

Reaction score
So I am pretty sure I am going to go AG soon. I am addicted and the wife gave the OK!! My question for the veterans is whether I should go the rubbermaid route or build a kettle? I know my finances will play a role, but I am not in a rush and willing to save some funds. I guess what I am asking is are there major benefits from having a kettle other than convience? If I go the cooler route am I going to want to have the two burner system ASAP? I am terrible about making decisions and will probably debate on this for awhile. Ugh...... Better go have a beer and do some more research!!!

best thing about building keggles is you built them.. and you can do step-mashes with direct heat, which you can't do in an igloo

That's great! Moving to all-grain is a great step!

So...you want to know if you should use a direct fired keggle MLT or a converted Igloo cooler for an MLT? If money is any concern, and all you plan on doing are single infusion mashes, then I would just go for the cooler MLT. There's added cost and difficulty with direct fired MLT (since you'll most likely have to recirculate the wort or constantly stir the mash to avoid scorching) that may or may not be worth it to you, depending on your brewing style and needs. I started out with the Igloo method, but a buddy of mine was doing direct fired MLT (on the stove though). We both made good beers. I liked the 'set it and forget it' mentality with the Igloo cooler. Add your strike water, dough in, measure temp, confirm, close the lid and wait an hour to and hour and a half and then come back. I also built my cooler MLT for around $50 with supplies from Home Depot (including the cooler).

I can't say one way is better than the other, because it will depend on the brewer, but I do suggest the cooler if you're looking to save some bucks, and get a simple entrance into all grain brewing.

Cheers, and I hope you enjoy the next step!
TB

I'm totally excited for you man. There is definitely something quite satisfying about brewing all-grain. I enjoy it immensely.

I went the cooler MLT route and have to say that its working well for me. I'm sure at some point in the future I'll give the direct firing a go. Anyway, my thinking was I wanted to start as fast as possible and the cooler was more affordable.

Best of luck in your decision making!

So...you want to know if you should use a direct fired keggle MLT or a converted Igloo cooler for an MLT? If money is any concern, and all you plan on doing are single infusion mashes, then I would just go for the cooler MLT. There's added cost and difficulty with direct fired MLT (since you'll most likely have to recirculate the wort or constantly stir the mash to avoid scorching) that may or may not be worth it to you, depending on your brewing style and needs. I started out with the Igloo method, but a buddy of mine was doing direct fired MLT (on the stove though). We both made good beers. I liked the 'set it and forget it' mentality with the Igloo cooler. Add your strike water, dough in, measure temp, confirm, close the lid and wait an hour to and hour and a half and then come back. I also built my cooler MLT for around $50 with supplies from Home Depot (including the cooler).

I can't say one way is better than the other, because it will depend on the brewer, but I do suggest the cooler if you're looking to save some bucks, and get a simple entrance into all grain brewing.

Cheers, and I hope you enjoy the next step!
TB

I agree with TB. I STILL have my 10 gallon igloo MLT with no plans to upgrade it! I love it. It holds the heat very well, it's easy to clean, it's easy to add stuff to it (sparge arm, thermometer, sight glass), it's light, etc. It's what I started out with, and I still use it!

I've changed absolutely everything else, though! I had an igloo cooler HLT (twice!) and changed out the boil kettle.

Back