Moving to a larger primary, ok? #sillymistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrust

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Brewed a Stone Double Bastard Clone yesteday. OG was 1.1 and some change. I ended up with around 6 gallons . . .

. . . into a 6.5 gallon bucket.

I "knew" I should have, at the very least, affixed a blow-off tube before going to bed last night. Well, I was awoken by a large "boom" this morning and my wife rushing into the bedroom to ask what I had done to cause the noise (she was downstairs exercising).

Of course, my immediate thought was, "well, at least it fermentation started quickly."

I went into our "brew room," which houses most of our equipment, including a Vissani Wine fridge, converted into a fermentation chamber.

The boom was, indeed, the primary. It blew the lid completely off, blew the door open on the fermentation chamber, and splattered krausen on the inside as well as the wall of the room. :eek:

I cleaned-up the mess and quickly rigged a blow-off tube, but it's now working as a foam/krausen exit pathway. I look for it to soon become blocked with krausen.

I do have a larger primary container (approx. 12 gallon capacity).

Should I move the beer to the larger primary??

TIA! :mug:

I would have put it in the larger primary from the get-go, but now that it is where it is, I'd say leave it be. It'll just be messy for a while :rockin:

Back