Moving story about a feral child

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is turning my stomach....How much paperwork can their really be for an AD? *I thought I saw a gun in her hand when we picked up her daughter*

"she had been charged with child abuse and faced 20 years in prison. So prosecutors offered a deal: If she waived her parental rights, they wouldn't send her to jail."

Bulls**t!! How about "So prosecutors offered a deal: If she waived her parental rights, they wouldn't cut her and feed her to a pack of angry dogs..."

<or>

"If she waived her parental rights, they would let kill her commit suicide instead of locking her alone in a closet w/ no toilet or bed for 7+ years".

i dont know if i could have resisted putting the mother down like a bad dog with a bullet to the brain pan..has to be one of the most well written moving stories ive read.....

http://tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/article750838.ece

Mom's IQ is only 77. She needed a caregiver herself. Perhaps if the authorities had dug deeper on at least one of the occasions they were called this could have been avoided. Shooting her or abusing her because she couldn't or wouldn't function as someone with greater capacity is pointless.

Just finished reading that far. I agree with Fingers mostly, but I'm not going to change my previous post because it conveys my feelings at that point in the story.

One thing that perpetually comes to mind in abuse cases like this is; Why is it always one child that is singled out while the rest are cared for (much like A Child Named It)? That in and of itself shows the ability to differentiate and classify ones behavior.

An IQ of 77 is not all that uncommon. It is simply "borderline intellectual functioning". Lots of folks in that range have families and jobs. It is certainly no excuse for abusing a child. She kept on refusing help. She even refused free day care, for Pete's sake!

I am a child and adolescent psychiatrist by trade. I see cases very similar to this far more often than folks really want to think about. Why, just a couple of weeks ago I had a girl from another country who was adopted by a family in another state. Her biological mom was a prostitute who killed one of her johns, then left this girl and her older sister in the one-bedroom apartment with the rotting corpse for several weeks. They ate their own fingernails, then finally broke out of the apartment to get food and were found. (Oh, and at some point my patient had been stabbed in the face by her mom, too.) So the first US family adopted both girls and brought them over. They ended up pimping them out, though, and finally DCS got wind of it. They were taken into foster care and re-adopted, but, as you might imagine, they have a little trouble bonding and such. (Yeah! To say the least!) They were overwhelmed and lost in family dynamics, just couldn't handle it. Now are both in group homes and doing okay. And that's just one of my more recent stories.

Whenever I hear the word "evil", I don't imagine Hitler or Satan or zombies or any of that crap. I have in mind the "little" evils that happen everyday, everywhere around us. If I know this, then I know that I can make a difference in that, too. Everyday, maybe I can knock out a little evil out of the world.

I am a child and adolescent psychiatrist by trade. I see cases very similar to this far more often than folks really want to think about. Why, just a couple of weeks ago I had a girl from another country who was adopted by a family in another state. Her biological mom was a prostitute who killed one of her johns, then left this girl and her older sister in the one-bedroom apartment with the rotting corpse for several weeks. They ate their own fingernails, then finally broke out of the apartment to get food and were found. (Oh, and at some point my patient had been stabbed in the face by her mom, too.) So the first US family adopted both girls and brought them over. They ended up pimping them out, though, and finally DCS got wind of it. They were taken into foster care and re-adopted, but, as you might imagine, they have a little trouble bonding and such. (Yeah! To say the least!) They were overwhelmed and lost in family dynamics, just couldn't handle it. Now are both in group homes and doing okay. And that's just one of my more recent stories.

Jebus H. Christ! You're much more courageous than I.

my god, this makes me wanna go home right now and hold my daughter close and tell her how much I love her... that is beyond any of the scariest things I've ever heard, that is hell. How that can happen to a child is beyond me...

I'm happy that "Dani" now has a loving home.

I'm even more thankful that my kids have clothes, food and the loving family structure they have.

I am watching something like this across the street. Single woman, divorced, 3 kids ages 13,15,17. Welfare queen. Got over 85k in grant money to buy the house, and gets everything. Food,free health insurance,etc. Actually just quit a job because they gave her a raise,, and that income boost would have disqualified her from all her "benefits". I have spoken to her 2 times for less then 5 minutes, but her boyfriend and I have gotten to know each other. He filled me in, vented while drinking my beer. I also tried to write a mortgage for him after his daughter couldn't help. So I have facts, not assumptions. She leaves for 3-5 days at a time, staying with him. Leaving 3 kids alone. The boy is diagnosed ADD. The house got trashed by the 15 yr olds friends. Usually about 10 kids in the house at a time. The boy is the youngest, and at 13, did not know how to ride a bike. I gave him my brothers brand new mountain bike, bought 2 weeks before he passed away. The boy does not have a bed, he either sleeps on the floor, or in a camp cot in the utility room, which is an unheated shed, attached to the house. Really a pathetic situation. Someone called the cops, and she was mother of the year for about a week, but now its back to what it was.

An IQ of 77 is not all that uncommon. It is simply "borderline intellectual functioning". Lots of folks in that range have families and jobs.

Now don't go and start bringing politics into it!

Uncommon or not, borderline intellectual functioning implies that you're walking a fine line between being able to reason and being dysfunctional. Clearly this woman dropped to 76 and lost the ability to make reasoned decisions. Look at NJTomatoguy's story. Nobody is blaming the 17 year old for what's going on across the street. They're blaming the mother. She left an insufficient caregiver in charge of her children. So who left the caregiver in charge in the previous story? By extension, aren't they the guilty party?

I'm all in favor of leaving children with their parents, but when there is a concern about the ability of a parent to provide proper care, due diligence dictates that the skills of the parent be evaluated and upgraded if necessary. I don't think it would take too long to realize that this woman was intellectually limited and perhaps in over her head. She shouldn't have the option to refuse assistance when it's clear she can't function as a parent without it.

17 yr old works, and probably makes more than her mother.
It is a sad situation, but I am wrong if I call police because:

1. I am single
2. I am male, and don't "understand what she's going through"

I took the liberty of renaming this thread. For some reason, there's a lot of cop-talk on the forum right now, some of it very negative. I don't want this thread to be lumped in with those other threads.

Well, that's it. Words fail me. I'm going home to hug my five-year-old daughter real tight, for about an hour. I'm a lucky man, and I was just reminded of it.

1. I am single

If that's true, then it's all the more reason to call. Those who respond will 'understand what she's going through'.

The unfortunate thing is that often the abuse or neglect is fleeting but regular. If the perpetrator is not caught in the act, nothing can be done. There simply isn't enough resources to catch them. In the case of the alcoholic that regularly drives drunk with his/her child in the car, until they are actually caught they continue to get away with it. In the country, it's easier to avoid getting caught because of lower levels of enforcement, lighter traffic loads, etc. As a responsible adult who should be looking out for these endangered children it's really frustrating to be forced to turn a blind eye to it.

One thing that perpetually comes to mind in abuse cases like this is; Why is it always one child that is singled out while the rest are cared for (much like A Child Named It)? That in and of itself shows the ability to differentiate and classify ones behavior.

I'm guessing it's because the her husband was the father of her two sons, and some guy, Rob or Bob, is the father of the daughter.

1. I am single

That is a lousy copout.

Instead of complaining on here, pick up the phone.

Back