Moving Secondary Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
I've never racked to secondary. In fact I just brewed my first batch last weekend.

But I have a question. Say I rack to a secondary carboy and keep it in my basement, but then I want to bottle upstairs in my kitchen.

Do I have to worry about "mixing it up" as I carry the secondary carboy up from the basement to the kitchen? Will that cause problems?

If your really worried you could transfer the beer to your bottling bucket in the basement.

Otherwise RDWHAHB. I've carried secondaries upstairs many times.

If your goal by racking to secondary is a clearer beer you will most likely ruin part of your efforts by moving it up to your kitchen in order to bottle it out.

Then.... the beer will also clear out just resting in the bottles as well, so all wont be lost.

Be extra careful if youre planning on carrying a full glass carboy... i know i've done it myself many times myself, but im not taking any more chances anymore, try to carry it in a milk crate or something safe, you dont want it to break up and slice your tendons while it breaks in your hands...

The pilsner that I bottled this weekend I had secondaried in an extra fridge in my neighbor's garage. When I was ready to bottle I picked it up walked it across the yard and into my house. I let it come up to room temp and bottled. I haven't done too many, but I have to say this batche was the clearest beer I've ever brewed. I won't crack one for a week or two, but it looks good so far.

you should be fine, maybe move it a few hours ahead of time, hold it from the bottom and move slowly... i've moved mine minutes before starting to rack and no problems.

interesting, two replies at the exact same time with the exact same suggestions! great minds think alike...

I always use my kitchen island for racking, which also involves always moving a fermenter. If you can plan ahead, it really helps to move the carboy to the racking area the night before. That way it can resettle overnight. Especially with wines that have very fine lees (sediment), it really helps. It might not be necessary with most beers, but it sure won't hurt.

Back