Moving primary feementor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
Stupid question, but if all of the oxygen has been purged from the primary during fermentation, just how careful do you have to be when moving it? Could it say...be transported in a car. I've been brewing AG for a few years and I helped a buddy who wants to go AG brew at my house. He asked if I'd just be able to bring the fermentor to him for bottling and my initial thought was no, but I figured maybe there is something I don't know here. It's supposed to say FERmentor as the subject haha

What about brewing, then transporting the wort before fermentation? Strap the carboy in a baby seat! (I saw this on northern brewery's YouTube channel) :)

I've done it before. I transported the beer after about 2 weaks in the primary and cold crashed once I got it home to clear it up. It turned out to be one of my best batches.

If you can secure the carboy and ensure it won't shake around too much, then give it a shot. You're risking oxidation by shaking the carboy around during the trip. I would ask your buddy to bring the bottles over to your house. In my opinion, better to not risk it.

My guess is you'd be OK--if your airlock is in place, there should be naught in your carboy but CO2, yes? So oxidation shouldn't be an issue. Someone correct me if I'm missing something? Only problem might be cloudiness, as you're certain to kick up the yeast cake to some degree. But, as Sideways said, cold crash it, or at least let it settle for a couple of days, should be fine.

This just sounds silly, much easir to just bottle it at your place. It would suck if all that beer fell over and went all over the inside of your car

Back