Moving Pieces (kinda Long)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboys3

Reaction score
Hello Again,
I have a batch of True Brew Pilsner that sat in the fermenter for 1 week, the airlock was showing sings of fermenting for the first day and half then it stopped. still I waited a week as per the directions and racked it to a secondary even though the directions said this was not needed, but here is where I screwed up,I had to carry the fermenter to a different area to rack it(poor planning) and some of the Kraussen got washed in the beer. It did not disturb the bottom layer of yeast. I racked it to the secondary in a better bottle and put in a single piece airlock and within a couple of hours it was bubbleing again and has been doing so for the last 3 days(1 bubble approx.5-10 min).it is starting to clear up but I have chunks moving about the liquid. If these do not settle to the bottom when it comes time to bottle can i filter these through a cheesecloth just to catch the bigger chunks, is this normal.
Thanks,
Flyboys3

Your beer is fine. Leave it in secondary for at least another 10 days or so. Everything should settle out. Mixing of the krausen remains into the beer is not a problem.

Do not filter the beer through a cheesecloth at this point. You do not want to introduce oxygen if you can avoid doing so.

Flyboy, the same thing is happening with me as we speak. This is my first time using a secondary and I got the same krausen bits floating around. I thought they would settle out, but after 14 days they have not. I'm planning on racking to the bottling bucket tomorrow and if they are still there on the top I'll just skim them off and bottle as usual.

Good Luck!

Christian

Just make sure that whatever tool you are "skimming" with is sanitized. I would hate to read a later thread about someones beer being contaminated while tranfering to a bottlering bucket. I've known someone who went through a similar expierence and ran into contamination during his botteling process.

Back