Pennsylvania Moving MA - PA, different home brew rules?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H.woodrow

Reaction score
Moving to Pittsburgh and wanted to check there's no weird regulations since PA has some archaic alcohol laws. Also: home brew shop recommendations in Bloomfield / East Liberty / Friendship area?

I don't know about Pittsburgh specifically, but here is the PA law applying to homebrewing.

Title 47, Chapter 1, Article I, § 1-102 defines Malt or Brewed Beverages as any beer, lager beer, ale, porter or similar fermented malt beverage containing one-half of one per centum or more of alcohol by volume, by whatever name such beverage may be called.

Title 47, Chapter 1, Article IV, § 4-492
Unlawful acts relative to malt or brewed beverages and licensees
It shall be unlawful–

(1) MANUFACTURING WITHOUT LICENSE. Except as provided herein, for any person, to manufacture malt or brewed beverages, unless such person holds a valid manufacturer’s license for such purpose issued by the board. Malt or brewed beverages may be produced by any person without a license if such malt or brewed beverages are produced not for sale and total production does not exceed two hundred gallons per calendar year. Malt or brewed beverages produced in accordance with this paragraph may be used at organized affairs, exhibitions, competitions, contests, tastings or judging provided it is not sold or offered for sale.

Out of curiosity, has anyone gotten tabbed for brewing more than 100 or 200 or whatever gallons in a year?
Guessing that quite a few members around here beat that number handlily, but if they aren't trying to attract attention, who would know, and would the police even care if the brewer isn't trying to sell it?

I've never heard of anyone in New England being prosecuted for illegal beer sales - and I actually knew a guy who would fill his car up with cornys and go to concerts and sell beer out of the car :) He did it for years without getting caught.

Anyway...I've only gone over 200 gallons a few times and never by more than a few more corny's worth. I doubt any LEOs would give a crap - particularly because I'm not messing around with sales...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back