Moving from Induction to a Controller/Element - Wiring Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffm33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I currently use the Avantco IC3500 and had an outlet installed to support it years ago. The IC3500 uses a NEMA 6-20P plug.

I am thinking of getting the SS Brewtech 1V system which uses a L6-30 plug.

Can I use an adapter like this or should I have my electrician come back and rewire?

It's a receptacle. You can't wire it yourself ? It is only a few wires. If you took a few pics, I'm sure someone here would help you.

If I can use that adapter linked, then no wiring needs to happen. If I can't use that adapter then it could be because I shouldn't run that controller off the current wiring. If that's the case then it isn't just "a receptacle". I don't know enough about it to make the call, thus why I asked.

I currently use the Avantco IC3500 and had an outlet installed to support it years ago. The IC3500 uses a NEMA 6-20P plug.

I am thinking of getting the SS Brewtech 1V system which uses a L6-30 plug.

Can I use an adapter like this or should I have my electrician come back and rewire?
The 6-20P that you had installed is good for 20 amps. Your IC3500 draws less than 15 amps so you are fine. That adapter would allow you to plug in something that could draw 30 amps. Your outlet is not rated that high. I don't know what system you intend to plug in but as long as it's below 20 amps it should work.

How many watts is the element in the system you are looking to buy? A 5500W element draws about 23A, so cannot be operated from a 20A circuit, without overloading the structure wiring. A 4500W element Draws a little under 19A, so could be operated on a 20A circuit, as long as you don't run the element over 3 hours. If you add a chugger type pump, then the max current draw can go above 20A, which shouldn't be done.

Brew on :mug:

The SS Brewtech has a 5500w element. So looks like I’ll have to rewire in that scenario.

There are other ones I’m looking at that have 4500w elements. In hat scenario I’d need to be sure if there was a pump that it’s powered separately.

The SS Brewtech has a 5500w element. So looks like I’ll have to rewire in that scenario.

There are other ones I’m looking at that have 4500w elements. In hat scenario I’d need to be sure if there was a pump that it’s powered separately.

Does it use a PWM controller ? If so, just don't run it above 4800 watts.

I'm sure if you told Brewtech that you needed a system that could run on 20A that they would set it up with a slightly smaller element.

Good luck.

If you add a chugger type pump, then the max current draw can go above 20A, which shouldn't be done.
Its a 3 prong plug, ie no 120 VAC. Is he buying a system that uses a 240VAC chugger pump ?

It is perfectly legal to put a 30 receptacle on a run that is fused for 20A. You can plug a 30A load into it too. The breaker protects everything. That is what they are for and do. It is silly to put a 30A receptacle on a 20A run and even sillier to plug a 30A load into the receptacle. But the breaker will protect everything. It is no different than mindlessly plugging 2 toasters into a 15A house circuit. That is what breakers do.

Latest posts

Back