Moving from bottling to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geobotsar

Reaction score
Hi guys, so far i have been bottling my homebrews. I am interested in kegging soe batches for a friend that owns a pub. I was eondering what the process is. Do you keg, force carbonate and then le the beer condition for a coyple of weeks? Or do you keg, let the beer condition for a couple of weeks and then force carbonate? If i was to prime the keg would it be better to prime from the beggining and let it condition, or let it condition in the keg and then prime? How long does it take for force carbonating the beer? Many thanks

It's easy. Fill the clean keg with beer, set psi at serving temp and chill, be patient and enjoy in 1-2 weeks.

Or force carb at 25 psi for like 36 hours then purge and set to serving psi

Thanks guys, so if i understood correctly from what i read in the forum the best way is to set it at around 12 psi and let it for a couple of weeks. If i didnt want to keep my friends co2 line at the pub for this much time, how would i go with priming it? Is it the same with bottling, prime the keg, let it condition for a month? And then connect the keg at the co2 line at 12 psi for serving?

Don't forget that in a lot of states (I know for SURE NY where I live) you need a liquor license to be doing what you're describing. On the other hand your friend with the pub could lose his if he's getting beer from someone who's not a licensed distributor--ie you. Hate to burst bubbles....I just worry for you. Good luck.

Thanks carlsonderek but dont i dont leave in the states, what about the priming question? Lets just say that am doing this for home so it doesnt become a thread about licencing issues

geobotsar said:
Thanks carlsonderek but dont i dont leave in the states, what about the priming question? Lets just say that am doing this for home so it doesnt become a thread about licencing issues

Yes it's pretty much the same. I am moving from kegging to bottling myself and recently learned about this, and one thing another user brought to my attention was that when you prime, it won't be carbonated for a while, therefore the lack of pressure can give you issues getting the kegs to hold a seal. Otherwise when you force carb, the pressure helps the keg seal with less problems. Beyond that, priming is the same and I argue is even better for some styles that benefit from it like Belgian strongs/dubbel/tripel. Good luck!

Btw--is that all I need to do to sell my beer is move out of the states?! Sweet!

Hehehe, am not selling it, just giving it to a friend that owns a pub, maybe someone else would like to try ir, thanks for the info carlson!

Back