Moving day for carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codemonkey

Reaction score
Hi all,

New brewer here. I just purchased a house and need to move 1 6.5 gal carboy and 3 5gal carboys along with me. I've seen the brew carriers out there but wanted to hear any suggestions about how to transport them. I was thinking that I might be able to buckle them to the wall of the moving truck somehow and back blankets in between them. I've got an Accord and an Eclipse, so neither of those can really accommodate moving them all at once. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Are they full or empty? If full, there's really no good way as the bumps will likely cause overflow, etc. If empty, just toss each one in a box wrapped in towels, clothes, sheets, etc.

Hi all,

New brewer here. I just purchased a house and need to move 1 6.5 gal carboy and 3 5gal carboys along with me. I've seen the brew carriers out there but wanted to hear any suggestions about how to transport them. I was thinking that I might be able to buckle them to the wall of the moving truck somehow and back blankets in between them. I've got an Accord and an Eclipse, so neither of those can really accommodate moving them all at once. Any suggestions?

Cheers

If it was me, I'd use milk crates, padded with a blanket. Stick the carboy in the milk crate, carry it out and strap it in the seatbelt (belt through the handles of the milk crate, and the shoulder harness around the carboy) for a short distance.

Edit- I assumed they were full. If they're empty, just pack with care.

Are they full or empty? If full, there's really no good way as the bumps will likely cause overflow, etc. If empty, just toss each one in a box wrapped in towels, clothes, sheets, etc.

Yes, they are all full.

If it was me, I'd use milk crates, padded with a blanket. Stick the carboy in the milk crate, carry it out and strap it in the seatbelt (belt through the handles of the milk crate, and the shoulder harness around the carboy) for a short distance.

Edit- I assumed they were full. If they're empty, just pack with care.

That could work. It's only a 10 mile move. Maybe packing towels around the top or something to prevent any messes.

If any are ready for bottling, here's your excuse to do so.

If not, you could pick up some undrilled stoppers and then tape them in place (just don't leave on too long) and do what Yooper suggested. If there's room on the floor in the back seat to wedge them in so they're stable., that might also work.

About the stopper...I wouldn't tape them in place, at least not taped down solid...give it some room to pop off a little.

If there's any build up of pressure from sloshing with the tape holding the stopper down (firm) any inside pressure could make the carboy explode in place...try explaining that to the cops and insurance agent...;)

Back