Moving and wondering what to do with still fermenting brews.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satya7

Reaction score
So I got the boot and need to move by December first. My question is i have 3 different brews in different stages of fermentation and wondering what would be the best way to move with them if they are not quite ready. The move may be couple thousand mile drive. Here is what I have; a nut brown brewed on 11/6/11 which I could bottle, a Apfelwein assembled 11/11/11 and a Belgian pale ale brewed on 11/13/11. They should be close to bottling stage, however I would of liked to keep the last two in primary longer. Any ideas? Should I bottle or transfer in carboys? Freezing temps here and they may have to go in the back of my truck. Thanks sorry for the long drawn out post.

Bottle them and keep them at room temp,its proabably too long a drive to avoid them shaking in the fermenter, im not shure about the apfelwein but as long as its done fermenting.

Bottling/Kegging is always the best for moving beer. It's sealed and oxydation will be avoided. Honestly you run a big risk with the sloshing of movement once the beer is fermented. A bung/airlock on a carboy can be too easily disturbed in that situation and air could get in there.

On option would be to replace the airlocks with solid bungs that you practically clamp onto the carboys. Or use those orange carboy caps and put the plugs on both holes.

If it were me I'd say screw it and bottle everything, that is the only real gaurentee that nothing will go wrong.

Man, don't they have to give you 30days? Unless you parents booted ya, then all bets are off...lol.

I'd look up the laws in MT. Here in WA, it's nearly impossible to evict someone.

Back on topic: Bottling is your only bet for survival. Even if fermentation is done, if you cork and move, you might get a bit more fermentation from rousing the yeast and blow the cork out, then you have oxidized beer. Not to mention crossing mountains, the pressure differential is going to either try to suck in your cork or blow it out. If it was across town, then move them, but a couple thousand miles...bottle and be done.

Sounds like I should bottle my only concern was not reaching FG and bottling. Monkey Wrench, its the old lady who is giving me the boot not much I can do there.( Love the name though Edward Abbey is one of my heroes).

Back