Moving a full Fermonster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_g08

Reaction score
I just purchased a 7 gallon fermonster (http://thevintageshop.ca/products/fermonster.html) and am excited to use it for the first time.

Given the relatively thin plastic construction, I plan to move it when full with a milk crate, similar to my glass carboys. I'm wondering if anyone does similar or has a better idea.

It's a lot lighter than glass and obviously not breakable. But if you feel more comfortable in a milk crate go for it. You might not injure yourself, but you could waste a batch of beer and/or break your fermonster if you think you'll drop it. Better safe than sorry.

Lots of people use the milk crate or the straps. I live a little bit on the dangerous side and just carry mine and haven't had any issues but a stated above, better safe than sorry. I'm sure I'l learn my lesson some day. If carrying it by hand, just remove the air lock before you move it.

I have a 6 gal. and moved it by hand for the first time. Down a flight of stairs too. It waslittle awkward But I didn't feel like I was going to drop it. I may try a milk crate next time.

They have that bump on the bottom .That helps with the grip.

I have three BigMouthBubblers. Same thing more or less. I've carried them by picking them up, right hand on bottom, left hand to control. It's OK.

I've also used the milk crate approach, which I don't like as much. It holds the fermenter too far from my center of mass, and too low to be comfortable. Causes me back distress when I do it this way.

I bought harnesses for the BMBs, and for me they're the best solution. In addition to allowing me to move them with essentially the same approach as moving a filled corny keg, they allow for a temp probe to be held against the fermenter w/ a piece of foam, and I can snake a heat mat under the straps to hold it against the fermenter. I usually also use a couple of bungee cords as well. The harness makes it easy to put the fermenter into a swamp cooler, harder to screw around with it just a milk crate or carrying it.

I've stopped looking for a better way. The harness works well for me.

One more thing: I think the bigmouthbubbler harnesses are overpriced at $19.95. I've seen carboy harnesses for $13-15, and I suspect they would work just as well.

Here's a pic:

korybeer.jpg

Hey, thanks for the input. I also ran across a homemade wooden crate design, which would offer a bit better support than my milk crate (crate is too wide). It uses 1x4's and 2x2s on the corners. At a minimum, I think I'll use the milk crate.

I used the milk crate last night with 5.5 gallons in the fermonster. Worked great.

By the way, I really like the fermonster. My buckets will be gathering dust unless I need additional fermenter space.

Latest posts

Back