Movie Alert: If you liked Everyting is Illuminated... IDA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IDA: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2718492/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

To start: It's black and white, and subtitled. It's polish.

It's a cinematographer's wet dream. Almost every scene is perfect. I can't remember a movie this perfect. Perfect, beautiful. 4x3 unfortunately. The cinematographer like to push the subject very low in the frame in a lot of scenes; sometimes, the subject is mainly out of frame. Not sure why, but it's provocative.

Acting by the two female leads are fantastic. Very believable. Could have been sold as a documentary.

John Coltrane is the theme of the undoing of the sexy nun. Mozart plays as a suicide unfolds. Finishes well with some song that I don't know but it's perfect as well.

Convent girl reminded me strongly of Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring.

Great movie. I'd watch it again. I think you'll hate it. Do NOT watch this. You've been warned.

Passedpawn, were you the one saying you liked Melancholia? You mention a lot about the cinematography for this movie is it the same type of thing?

I can understand someone appreciating these types of movies for there...artsyness?... But they are not my cup of tea. Try:Why has Bohdi Dharma left for the East? I think it is in the same vein. I think I got it on DVD from Netflix, not instant though.

On Netflix?

No idea, sorry

Passedpawn, were you the one saying you liked Melancholia? You mention a lot about the cinematography for this movie is it the same type of thing?

I can understand someone appreciating these types of movies for there...artsyness?... But they are not my cup of tea. Try:Why has Bohdi Dharma left for the East? I think it is in the same vein. I think I got it on DVD from Netflix, not instant though.

Not like Melancholia. That one was really artsy, not much story, and super odd.

This one is a decent story first. I recommend watching Everything is Illuminated. I liked that movie a lot. If you like that, then you'll probably like this. They are both about an interesting journey to discover one's heritage.

I couldn't find that movie you named on IMDB.

FINE, I guess I'll just google it then. Thanks for nothing. :p

Edit: No, it appears it is not available on streaming, DVD/Blue Ray only.

Great, now I actually have to go the video store. I can't believe that derelict time-capsule of a store is still in business.

I hate recommending movies because I know my tastes are not always mainstream. So I can't say whether anyone else will like it.

I'll say that this might be one of the best movies I've every seen. The acting, especially the aunt, is as good as the cinematography, which was insane. I'm going to watch it again very soon.

I hate recommending movies because I know my tastes are not always mainstream. So I can't say whether anyone else will like it.

I'll say that this might be one of the best movies I've every seen. The acting, especially the aunt, is as good as the cinematography, which was insane. I'm going to watch it again very soon.

I'm not sure it sounds like my normal cup of tea, but I do enjoy watching movies with good cinematography regardless of the plot, so you've piqued my interest there.

I'm not sure it sounds like my normal cup of tea, but I do enjoy watching movies with good cinematography regardless of the plot, so you've piqued my interest there.

Check out Under the Skin.

Its mezmerizing. Visually stunning but very little in the way of dialogue. Most will find it slow, but I found it amazing. Its like Space Odyssey in terms of the pacing and visuals.

Check out Under the Skin.

Its mezmerizing. Visually stunning but very little in the way of dialogue. Most will find it slow, but I found it amazing. Its like Space Odyssey in terms of the pacing and visuals.

I did! That was a crazy movie. The ending was a bit of a surprise, too (I suspected something like that). I liked it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097195/

Thats the movie. I only made it through half the movie before turning it off. No real plot, lots of slideshow like scenes, while beautiful, could not hold my interest. I would not recommend this unless you are really into artsy films, reviews are either loved it or hated it.

I did like Everything is Illuminated, but I think I would prefer to wait until Ida jumps from my DVD to instant list.

Under the Skin is also on my list though reading your description makes me wary of it. While I enjoyed 2001, it was slow in places and the whole ending soared over my head.

I like some artsy movies. I wish I had more time to just sit back and enjoy them. I like a beautiful movie, even if the subject is crap I will still watch it.

IDA: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2718492/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

To start: It's black and white, and subtitled. It's polish.

It's a cinematographer's wet dream. Almost every scene is perfect. I can't remember a movie this perfect. Perfect, beautiful. 4x3 unfortunately. The cinematographer like to push the subject very low in the frame in a lot of scenes; sometimes, the subject is mainly out of frame. Not sure why, but it's provocative.

Acting by the two female leads are fantastic. Very believable. Could have been sold as a documentary.

John Coltrane is the theme of the undoing of the sexy nun. Mozart plays as a suicide unfolds. Finishes well with some song that I don't know but it's perfect as well.

Convent girl reminded me strongly of Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring.

Great movie. I'd watch it again. I think you'll hate it. Do NOT watch this. You've been warned.

Ida is one of the Achievement in Cinematography nominees in tonight's Academy Awards. It got my vote.

Back