Move from 5 to 10 gallon + other questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
Hey all,

Sometime this year or next I'd like to make myself a Lambic, and AmandaK's recipe seems like a good one for me to try: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/lambic-bos-3rd-bos-two-golds-322168/

I currently only do 5 gallon extract recipes but I know that I will want 10 gallons of this stuff.

1) Does anyone know of a good primary fermenter that would hold the 10 gallons and the krausen? I've seen the 16.5 gallon plastic fermenter from Midwest (close to me), but that is around $69 total (not a deal breaker but I figured there is a cheaper option y'all have figured out)

2) How could I go about making this with my same boiling equipment? I have the 20 qt stainless steel pot and it would be great if I could follow AmandK's recipe without me having to buy much more stuff. i.e. can this be made in my 5 gallon pot?

3) After splitting this into two 5 gallon glass carboys, will a normal clean with PBW be enough to clean it up so that it's safe to make other beers with or do the carboys need to stay separate after they have been used for a sour beer?

Hey all,

Sometime this year or next I'd like to make myself a Lambic, and AmandaK's recipe seems like a good one for me to try: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/lambic-bos-3rd-bos-two-golds-322168/

I currently only do 5 gallon extract recipes but I know that I will want 10 gallons of this stuff.

1) Does anyone know of a good primary fermenter that would hold the 10 gallons and the krausen? I've seen the 16.5 gallon plastic fermenter from Midwest (close to me), but that is around $69 total (not a deal breaker but I figured there is a cheaper option y'all have figured out)

2) How could I go about making this with my same boiling equipment? I have the 20 qt stainless steel pot and it would be great if I could follow AmandK's recipe without me having to buy much more stuff. i.e. can this be made in my 5 gallon pot?

3) After splitting this into two 5 gallon glass carboys, will a normal clean with PBW be enough to clean it up so that it's safe to make other beers with or do the carboys need to stay separate after they have been used for a sour beer?

I'll do my best but you can PM Amanda and I'm sure you'll get a reply:)

You can split the batch into two 6.5g buckets and not need 1 large primary
If you do not want to buy a bigger pot you will have to brew two separate batches

If you thoroughly clean with PBW and then sanitize with Star San you should be fine

If you take the spear out of a sanke keg, you can ferment in that like a big carboy. Bonus is that you can put the spear back in and return it like a good boy or girl.

mjohnson said:
If you take the spear out of a sanke keg, you can ferment in that like a big carboy. Bonus is that you can put the spear back in and return it like a good boy or girl.

Yeah sanke kegs make good fermenters, I use the extra large universal bungs with hole. I know a lot of people stretch a carboy hood over the top. Just be careful a ss keg + 10 gallons of beer gets heavy, keep your feet out from underneath (yes I know from experience). And to clean a good soak in oxi will get rid of anything crusted to the sides.

Back