Mouse likes the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
So yesterday I saw a mouse in my basement for the first time. I went out and got some traps and, after I placed them, I looked over at my fermenter. It's wrapped up in a towel to shield it from light. The mouse was hanging out in one of the little folds in the towel. I shooed it away (toward the trap) and put the fermenter inside one of those party tubs, thinking that the mouse couldn't climb up the outside of the tub.

Went down to check the traps this morning and the little b*&tard was sitting on top of the fermenter again! Maybe it liked the towel or the rhythmic bloop-bloop-bloop coming out of the airlock - who knows.

Anyway, the mouse problem is now solved but I just thought that was really strange.

He was probably interested in the smell. I've heard of mice falling into empty fermenter. I would probably give your fermenter a good wipe down just to be safe. Are you using carboys or buckets?

It's a Better Bottle. I switched the towel that's covering it.

We had a mouse problem at our last house. They just gross me out, so I'm a little paranoid about cleaning after seeing them. hehe

Maybe he just really likes your homebrew!

party-fails-oh-the-drunk-mouse.jpg

I had the same problem. I found some bite marks on my bubbler. I sanitized it and placed a pint glass over the top of it now and no problems since. I set traps but have gotten nothing yet.

Back