Mounting Drip Tray to Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetsh

Reaction score
I am mounting my drip tray to my kegerator and I am going the all magnet route. I just bought some rectangular mounting magnets to attach two L-Brackets to the freezer and then two rectangular block magnets to attach the drip tray to the L-Brackets. Then I am using two Stainless Mounting Magnets for attaching the bottle cap catcher to the freezer. Got it all from KJ magnetics. I'll let you guys know how they work out.

SWMBO did not like the 15 gallon tote underneath the Decorative Beverage Dispenser so I had to get drip tray. :D :D

20140227_212101 (1205x1280) (753x800).jpg

Those magnets certainly look like they will do the job.

I found that the magnets that we used would allow the tray to slide down on the face of the keezer, allowing it to get scratched. I used a silicone tape called "Rescue Tape" as a layer between the magnet and the keezer. It does not add any pull strength, but has a huge coefficient of friction to keep things from sliding. Now I can put 3 full beer glasses on the drip tray with no problem.

I like that idea and will definitely add that to avoid the slipping.

Thanks.

I got my drip tray mounted and I am pretty happy with it.

The magnets I used to attach the L-brackets to the freezer were rated for 84 lbs but I think the layer of self-adhering silicone tape I put between the magnets and the freezer per ChuckO's suggestion made all the difference (thank you Chuck).

As you can see below it held 3 big 32 oz glass beer mugs.

Granted they were empty, but I am sure after a few pints of Blood Orange Belgian Wit or some Caramel Apple Hard Cider, I'll probably try 3 FULL ONES! :tank:

20140303_123930.jpg

I am mounting my drip tray to my kegerator and I am going the all magnet route. I just bought some rectangular mounting magnets to attach two L-Brackets to the freezer and then two rectangular block magnets to attach the drip tray to the L-Brackets. Then I am using two Stainless Mounting Magnets for attaching the bottle cap catcher to the freezer. Got it all from KJ magnetics. I'll let you guys know how they work out.
Wow, those magnets are crazy expensive! So you spent $50 on magnets to hold up a $15 drip tray? Or were they significantly less expensive a few months ago? I'd love to avoid drilling another hole in the fridge but that seems outrageously expensive to me.

I've found the neodymium magnets to be suboptimal, since they simply couldn't hold strongly enough. If you have to spend over $15 to get big strong magnets, that's no good either.

All it takes is a dab of silicone RTV instead of magnets. Wish I'd known that before buying the magnets.

All it takes is a dab of silicone RTV instead of magnets. Wish I'd known that before buying the magnets.

A dab of RTV silicone can hold that much weight? I picked some up with the shelf mounts from Home Depot today. Can you ever remove RTV silicone? I'm putting it on a stainless fridge so I don't think magnets were an option for me anyhow.

I ended up only using two of the rectangular mounting magnets and then put some double sided 3M adhesive between the magnet and the freezer instead of the self-adhesive silcone tape (way way stronger). I then just used some cheap velcro to mount the drip tray to the L brackets. The way it is now, the L brackets are going to bend before the tape magnet combo ever begins slipping. Yes it was a little overkill (I payed $20 for the magnets), but I am pretty happy with the rock solid setup. I filled up four 32 oz glass mugs and the thing didn't budge.

And no I ended up not ordering the other magnets so no I didn't pay $50 :)

Btw, these magnets are very strong and could be dangerous if mishandled!

Yep mine isn't. Btw it's not that some stainless appliances use ferrous metal, some models just put a steel plate behind the skin so you can use magnets :)

Cool!
Don't know what alloys the appliance makers use, but in our shop we use a lot of 301 Stainless, and it has some ferrous properties to it as well.
I should go through our metal rack with a magnet, and see which ones stick!

Just use some self tapping SS screws. Drill a lil pilot hole and screw it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back