Mountain spring water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hose

Reaction score
We have recently relocated to eastern TN and not far from our place is a spring that flows out of a pipe coming out of the side of a cliff along the main road. Consistently when I drive by there are cars parked alongside filling gallon jugs.
I curious if anyone has used spring water for their recipe and what were your results.
Thanks

I use 2 different spring waters from here in Ohio. One is from White House Artisian Springs, who has 6 wells down into pockets in the bedrock. That's where real spring water comes from, as it's different from ground water. Your's could well be a spring from down in the bedrock somebody drilled?
I also use Giant Eagle's spring water, also from Ohio. The Giant Eagle one seems to give a bit more hop presence in my E/SG & PM beers. But the White House Artisian Springs one is filtered & ozoned all the way to the tap you get it from for 25c per gallon. But both give great malt complexities. Try some for a pale ale or ESB & see what you think compared to what you were using. I think the spring water's better.
Think about what some beer adds say about mountain spring water. It is, after all, filtered through porous rock. I think it's great! The yeastie's seem to love the trace minerals in it. You can't taste them, but the yeastie's seem to be able to?!

I use 2 different spring waters from here in Ohio. One is from White House Artisian Springs, who has 6 wells down into pockets in the bedrock. That's where real spring water comes from, as it's different from ground water. Your's could well be a spring from down in the bedrock somebody drilled?
I also use Giant Eagle's spring water, also from Ohio. The Giant Eagle one seems to give a bit more hop presence in my E/SG & PM beers. But the White House Artisian Springs one is filtered & ozoned all the way to the tap you get it from for 25c per gallon. But both give great malt complexities. Try some for a pale ale or ESB & see what you think compared to what you were using. I think the spring water's better.
Think about what some beer adds say about mountain spring water. It is, after all, filtered through porous rock. I think it's great! The yeastie's seem to love the trace minerals in it. You can't taste them, but the yeastie's seem to be able to?!

If you have to drill down into the earth for the water then it is well water. If the water comes out of the surface it is spring water. I know commercial companies tap into aquifers that feed springs and call it spring water.... But that is marketing crap.

To the op: I have drinking from many springs. Some are developed, which means the actual source is protected and it runs into a pipe a short distance from the spring to protect resource damage, and some are natural. The best thing would be to send a sample off to ward labs and get it tested. You will see what beer styles it will work the best for and you will also be able to modify it when you want to brew something else. You could probably look at some geologic maps for your area and guess pretty close but a water sample is the best way.

If you drill/dig into the ground, it's well or ground water. If you drill into bedrock & hit a pocket of water, it's spring water. Spring water can sometimes find it's way to the surface. But groundwater & spring water are decidedly different. I've had both many times in different places.

Thanks guys,
I'm going to grab a sample and run it through a lab. It seems to me that this water may add a nice local "flavor" to my brews.
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back