Mould

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norway

Reaction score
I have tried to get my kombucha brewing going for about half a year now. It grows mould over and over - about every 2. time. I have sterilised my glass jar in the oven, tried different covers - paper/ washed fabrics. I have tried different teas and different places in my house. My scoby is quite small, as I have tossed out so many... I also have tried to pour in more than 10 % of starter to keep the Ph level lower. Nothing seems to keep the mould out.
Many years ago I made kombucha in the same house, the same jar and even the same room in the house ( dark, not too hot) and I never had any trouble. Of cause it is another scoby, but the friend I got it from, has no problems with her brewing.
I keep a hotel and take new mothers and starter from there when my brew grows mould and has to be tossed. Could it be that my new scobys are too small? My hotel does not grow mould. Some here said one could use foil to protect the brew from mould spores coming inn, but then I would have no oxygen and would not grow a new mother?

Hi & welcome.

1. Are you 100% sure it's mold and not a pellicle? With a good photo I can confirm.

2. I would recommend starting with a new SCOBY. There may be mold spores lurking in your "hotel".

3. Keep it warm. Warm temperature favors growth of the yeast and bacteria instead of mold.

4. Cover it loosely with foil. This helps prevent mold spores from landing in the kombucha. Gasses diffuse very rapidly so even a tiny amount of air flow is plenty.

Cheers

Hi & welcome.

1. Are you 100% sure it's mold and not a pellicle? With a good photo I can confirm.

2. I would recommend starting with a new SCOBY. There may be mold spores lurking in your "hotel".

3. Keep it warm. Warm temperature favors growth of the yeast and bacteria instead of mold.

4. Cover it loosely with foil. This helps prevent mold spores from landing in the kombucha. Gasses diffuse very rapidly so even a tiny amount of air flow is plenty.

Cheers
Thank you RPh_Guy. I`m absolutely sure of the mold, furry and every thing :) have not got a Picture at the moment. I have made good batches from the "hotel", but maybe I should ask for a new SCOBY from my friend. I will try the loose foil tip and keep it in my warmest place :) after all I live north of the polar circle!

Back