Mould in fermenter - what do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjornkri

Reaction score
Prepping for brewing this weekend and to my horror this is what I saw at the bottom of my fermenter ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408568647.142085.jpg. Yeech.

It seemed to originate in that hole where you can fit a spout, seemed to be particularly full of nasties. So what do I need to do? I've rinsed it with hot water and scrubbed, then filled it up with water and oxi, closed it and swirled it around. Going to give it a starsan treatment as well before brewday. Any other steps I should take to be safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Try putting some plain white vinegar into a spray bottle and misting all the surfaces affected. Let it sit for an hour and then wipe clean with a damp cloth and rinse. Let dry and you should be good to go. That's how I cleaned a mini fridge that I bought for 15 bucks. Haven't had any issues since.

Clean that spigot mount very well. Take the spigot apart, if it comes apart, and clean well also.
After your next brew clean the fermentor and let dry before putting it away. Leave the lid off for good air circulation to keep it dry.
Don't use any scrubbing utensils or pads that will scratch. Use soft sponges or cloths for cleaning. Any scratch can harbor bacteria sanitizers may not be able to reach.

My personal opinion is time for a new fermentation bucket. The spores whether you bleach bomb it or not can get lodge in microscopic scratches in the bucket that come from general use and after using the perfect mold growing environment (wort), the mold can come right back. If it was glass or steel I'd say clean it, but plastic is another story.

Back