Motorizing mill - need quick advice on a buy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a big science guy.... 230 refers to?

(I'll have my handyman bro-in-law rig it up for me if the time comes)

I think he's saying that it's a 230 volt motor, so you'll need an outlet.

Might be a bit on the strong side. 1 1/2 hp is pretty beefy. At least you know it'll be powered enough!

Looks like a 2 to 2.5" serpentine pulley, so you'll probably want to replace it with a 1.5" V-belt pulley.... with your 1700-ish RPM, you'll want to go to a 10" or 12" pulley on the mill.

For $25 though, it looks good as long as you have a 230v outlet to power it.

yeah, what he said. usually you won't have a spare 230 outlet. they are dryer and stove outlets. you could get one put in for the motor if you don't know much about electricity, but that would cost probably the same as a new 115v motor. I got a delta motor for 60 on ebay shipped that runs on
115, brand new, you just have to wait for a good deal. but, if you have a spare or you could unplug the dryer and use it, thats a good deal for a motor.

Hmmmm..... damn. Yeah, I only have the one at the dryer. Oh well, thought I hit the jackpot!

Thanks guys!

Heh. My house came with 3 spare 220v outlets. PLUS the dryer's outlet. But none are anywhere near a brew area. That's this winter's project - run 220 to the spare room in the basement. Luckily it's <15 feet between the panel and the room, and there's only one cinder block wall to go through.

if you make a mobile mill station it wouln't be a big deal to move it to the dryer area and mill and be done with it.

I am planning on that.... I'm going to convert an old microwave cart (bucket inside the bottom cabinet to control dust). However, there's a step from the garage to the basement, hard to roll over carpet, and a narrow little hall into the laundry room. Guess I could just keep the mill in the laundry room, but.....

It's a moot point. That motor was sold... Back to the drawing board!

Does this sound good?

1/8 HP, 1725 RPM, 115 VOLT, SPLIT PHASE OIL BURNER MOTOR. The shaft is 1/2' x 1 7/8" long. The rotation is reversible. It has a manual reset overload. Full load amps are 2.8. It is flange mounted with an open face flange.Flange diameter is 6 1/2" with two bolt mounts. DAYTON Model# 6K042.

I think that would do it. It's a little less strong than a dryer motor, but should still work I would reckon.

Try any used appliance / appliance repair stores yet? Tell 'em you need a used 1/3 hp dryer motor... the store I found gave me a freebie, but even for $ you could probably score one for $20.

OK, so I got this: GENERAL ELECTRIC 1/4 HP 1725 RPM MOTOR - used NR - eBay (item 160287069801 end time Oct-07-08 10:32:22 PDT)

"Up for auction is a 1/4 horsepower electric motor made by GE. It is 115 volts AC. It is used and in perfect running condition. It is model 5kh35kg103e.... It rotates at 1725 RPM. The shaft is a flat side 1/2" diameter by 1.5" long...with attached pulley....It weighs 17 pounds....I had this hooked up on my bench to a grinding wheel, but it saw little to no use over the last few years, so Its time to go...attached hinge on bottom can be removed if so desired"

Sound good for mill motorization?

Oh yeah - Made offer of $35 with $14 shipping.

Hah! Sumbich looks like it was even used for a grain mill last!!!

Yep, should do the trick nicely! It even looks like that's a 1.5" Pulley.

yep, either 10" or 12" should do the trick. I went 10" cuz I wanted to save a couple bucks.

Back