Motorized Mill on Amazon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Price point for a motorized mill is phenomenal, and the second roller is gear driven! (this is almost unheard of in a low cost mill.) I'm going to buy one just cause it looks too good to pass up (and it won't bankrupt me.)

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
The description states that the rollers have "an adjustment range of 2.5mm," but doesn't say what the low end of that range is. For all I know, it could be 2.5-5.0mm. But if I knew the gap could be set to below 1mm, I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on one.

Can't argue that last point, but to me that thing would be painfully slow vs my 180rpm CK mill...

Cheers!
Yeah, that's the only obvious drawback. But then, you can load it up, and go do something else useful while it does its thing.

I suppose, but by their specs my typical 10 gallon ales would take a half hour to mill.
btw...check out these gap adjusters. That looks hinky - are you supposed to pry some sliding bearing block or what?

ps: there's an image that suggests it's capable of a 0 to 0.065" gap...

1623025696563.png

The description states that the rollers have "an adjustment range of 2.5mm," but doesn't say what the low end of that range is. For all I know, it could be 2.5-5.0mm. But if I knew the gap could be set to below 1mm, I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on one.
0 to 2.5mm (0 to 0.065".)

Geared Roller Motorized Mill.png

I suppose, but by their specs my typical 10 gallon ales would take a half hour to mill.
btw...check out these gap adjusters. That looks hinky - are you supposed to pry some sliding bearing block or what?

ps: there's an image that suggests it's capable of a 0 to 0.065" gap...
Gap adjustment method isn't obvious. Listing says "Stainless knurled knobs allow a gap spacing adjustment range of 2.5mm. Adjusting is simple - just loosen the adjustment screws, adjust the gap and tighten the adjustment screws. "

I'll provide details when I get mine (just ordered.)

Ok, after some thought, I can envision those two thumbscrews travelling in threads through the side plates and their ends simply press against the bearing blocks to keep them spreading wider than the setting. It's an interesting method - the two mills I've owned positively located the blocks so the gap couldn't get narrower or wider, while this method only prevents widening. But unless that allows the bearing blocks to chatter about due to lash, I suspect it should work as intended...

Cheers!

75 rpm is half the “ ideal” speed of 150 rpm- 180 rpm and as others have stated painfully slow. But, you get what you pay for!

It looks like a 2 roller setup. After using a 3 roller setup, I will never go back to 2! I was looking hard for a motorized mill and gave up, but honestly with my new monster mill mm3 and my 20v Dewalt drill, it’s so fast as efficient, I don’t need it.

Let's flip this a little. Has anyone found a reasonably priced motor on Amazon that would be a good fit for a mill. The reasonably priced is the key.

Could this motor assembly work on another mill? Like to upgrade to a 3 roller? Then it might be worth it. I don’t know that speed is really a factor when you can just dump your grain and walk away. My motorized corona mill mills a pound a minute so I start my mill and then do all the other prep work and I’m usually done my other stuff when the grains are done.

"Just using a 60w gear motor at 75 RPM gives you a crush rate of 44 pounds per hour..."

That tells me everything I need to know. I have a recipe that uses 22+ pounds of grain. My Monster Mill setup goes through that much in a handful of minutes (at most). I also swap out the catch bucket during the crush since it will more than fill a 5 gallon container (or the 5.5-6 gallon I use). Most of my recipes are at least 12 pounds of grain. I also have the extended hopper from MM, so I can put over 30# of grain into the hopper at a time.

I do love the 2" diameter hardened steel rollers in my MM2. It will CRUSH YOUR SOUL!!

It states in a picture that the range is between 0 and .065"

I use the malt muncher 3 roller with motor from more beer. Mounted it on a butcher block top on a kitchen base cabinet I removed during a remodel. Cut the shelf inside to conform to the waste basket I use to catch the grain. Put some clear vinyl roll sheeting to act as a chute for the couple inch gap. Cut hole in back and put attachment for my small battery Milwaukee shop vac so when it’s milling I use the shop vac to collect the dust.

Attachments

• 0F27E10D-2628-44B6-AD00-68C589BEBA41.jpeg
    0F27E10D-2628-44B6-AD00-68C589BEBA41.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 4E1E1046-A69C-4672-9B47-1011000EAAAF.jpeg
    4E1E1046-A69C-4672-9B47-1011000EAAAF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Back