Motorized Grain Mill - Monster mill MM2 - Reverse shaft?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mliptack

Reaction score
Hi everyone! It’s been a while since I last posted. I am working on motorizing my grain mill but I have hit a small snag.

My motor when looking at the face of the motor, the shaft turns counter clockwise. If I align the shaft of the monster mill in the same orientation, hooking up the sheaves would cause the MM2 to spin the wrong direction.

When looking at the face of the MM2 the left roller is the driven roller.

My question, is it possible to change which roller is the driven roller?

FWIW - I cannot reverse the direction of the motor (polarity reversing doesn’t do it). Yes I could flip either the motor or the mill 180 deg to get the roller to spin, but this would make the grain mill set up larger than it needs to be.

Thanks everyone! It’s been a while since I brewed, getting settled in a new house, its about time to get back into the hobby!!

Cheers,
Max

17C11321-49F8-4C6E-9454-B14A2019316C.jpeg
2885F1D3-2758-4130-98ED-C39E01712004.jpeg

I thought a few pics might help. This is the orientation I would like. I have drawn in the direction of rotation from the motor.
I could flip the motor, but this would cause the depth of my project to increase.

Any ideas?Again revering polarity doesn’t work.

You may be able to flip the drive roller over so its drive stub is on the other end of the mill.
Then you could rotate the whole mill assembly 180° so the drive stub is on the same side as your motor pulley.
That would result in opposite rotation from where you are now. You might have to back the motor up a bit, but it should be in the proper orientation and rotation.

fwiw, I did exactly this on my old Barley Crusher when I realized the knurling was only worn out on one face - the other side was still sharp.
I use that mill now for wheat, sparing my year-old Cereal Killer from wheat abuse :)

But, again, the key is being able to flip that drive roller. Not being familiar with that mill I don't know if it's possible, but I suspect it is...

Cheers!

Thanks Day_trippr!

that worked like a charm. I also called Monster Mill just to make sure there would be no issue and he confirmed all was good.

In all it took probably 10min of work.

Cheers!

You may be able to flip the drive roller over so its drive stub is on the other end of the mill.
Then you could rotate the whole mill assembly 180° so the drive stub is on the same side as your motor pulley.
That would result in opposite rotation from where you are now. You might have to back the motor up a bit, but it should be in the proper orientation and rotation.

fwiw, I did exactly this on my old Barley Crusher when I realized the knurling was only worn out on one face - the other side was still sharp.
I use that mill now for wheat, sparing my year-old Cereal Killer from wheat abuse :)

But, again, the key is being able to flip that drive roller. Not being familiar with that mill I don't know if it's possible, but I suspect it is...

Cheers!

Back